Friday, May 22, 2015
     

Local News

Saturday, May 16, 2015
SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS The Marian High School community held a recent dress down day with proceeds to go to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in honor of Weatherly High School student Morgan Mengle. Pictured, presenting Mengle, third from left, with a check for $400 are Sue Ann Gerhard, Marian Director of Development; Brianna Rusnock; Sister Bernard Agnes IHM, Marian principal; Madeline Vetter; and Kayla Knepper.

Morgan Mengle, a senior at Weatherly Area High School, has spent a lot of time at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia over the years.

Born with congenital heart defects, she has undergone four open heart surgeries, 13 cardiac catheterizations and spent months at a time at the facility, dealing with respiratory infections.

Through it all, she has remained positive and thinks of the hospital and its staff as lifesavers.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Memorial Day is May 25.

Send us information about Memorial Day events at tneditor@tnonline.com.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Grace-St. Paul's United Methodist Church will host a free community dinner from 4 to 6 p.m. today.

The menu includes baked ham and roasted potatoes.

The church is located at 40 Church Road in Penn Forest Township, Just off Route 903, next to Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary.

For more information, call the church at 570-325-9151.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Carbon County Bridge 16, located on Koch Road in Towamensing Township, has reopened.

The bridge was shut down last year so the single-lane span could be replaced.

The Carbon County Commissioners held an official ribbon cutting ceremony Friday to mark the completion of the structure. Fabcor Inc. of Jessup was the contractor for the $1.35 million replacement project.

Of that total, 80 percent was covered by federal funds while the remaining 20 percent was covered by the state.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

HARRISBURG The Pennsylvania Bar Association has presented awards that recognize outstanding leadership in the legal profession and extraordinary service and long-standing membership in the association.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Pleasant Valley School District has approved a motion to hire Paul Riccomini to provide professional development services at the intermediate level.

The school board members approved the services at a cost of $36,000 for the 2015-2016 school year.

The money for the program is coming from a State Need to Learn grant.

Riccomini is an associate professor of education at Penn State and Clemson Universities and has written a number of books on the subject of improvements in math instruction as well as numerous papers, studies and lectures.

Saturday, May 16, 2015
Jim Boscov

Boscov's Department Stores LLC announced that Jim Boscov has been named CEO of the 43 store retail chain headquartered in Reading.

Earlier this year, retail legend Albert Boscov announced his intention to name Jim as his successor, and that appointment was ratified at a recent meeting of Boscov's board of directors.

Albert Boscov will retain his title as chairman and will remain active in the company.

Jim Boscov will continue to serve as the vice chairman of the corporation. He is the third generation of the Boscov family to lead the company.

Saturday, May 16, 2015
Bob Ford/Times News

A waterfall runs in Mahoning Creek earlier this spring after a recent rainfall. Your photo can be

published in this section. You can submit your scenic photos at the link with the galleries at

tnonline.com.

Saturday, May 16, 2015
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS  Michael Brandon, 6, of Palmerton, and Kinzley Finken, 4, of Palmerton, proudly wear these balloons over their heads during opening night of the 10th annual Crusaders For A Cause Spring Carnival held in the Palmerton Borough Park.

Complete with animals, rides and food, it's every child's dream come true.

That explains why the Palmerton Borough Park has been bustling with activity since the 10th annual Crusaders for a Cause Spring Carnival opened Thursday.

Timothy Finken of Palmerton brought his daughter, Kinzley, 4, to the carnival.

"I like it," Finken said. "It's fun for the kids."

Stephanie Brandon, who accompanied her son, Michael Brandon, 6, agreed.

"We're just having fun," she said.

Saturday, May 16, 2015
Tammy Neff

St. Luke's Miners Health Centers in Nesquehoning, Hometown and McAdoo welcome Tammy Neff, MSN-FNP-RN, to the St. Luke's University Health Network.

As a primary care provider, Neff will primarily be located in Nesquehoning, teaming up with Vanessa Perez CRNP, Kim Otto CRNP and Andrea Ulshafer PA-C.

She will also provide care in Hometown and McAdoo as needed.

With more than ten years' nursing experience and a Bachelor and a Master of Science in Nursing from DeSales University, Neff brings extensive experience and training to the Rural Health Center team.