Saturday, September 5, 2015


Saturday, July 30, 2011

For seven years, I've had an excellent licensed handyman who has kept the roof on my house in good shape.

I've hired him each year to pressure wash it and to give it another coat of the rubberized paint that strengthens the roof.

This year, however, he has so much work that he hired an assistant. Unfortunately, that assistant is grossly overweight (it mattered when he was on the roof) and is still in the learning stage. I didn't know all that until it was too late.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Do you remember how happy you where when you got your first job? I was ecstatic! I also remember my first paycheck. I was upset by the deductions from my gross pay, and was told that some of these deductions were for my benefit. Unemployment Insurance will pay me benefits should I lose my job. Social Security will ensure that I have a good life in my old age. Federal, state and local taxes provide me with many government services including paved roads, protection from bad guys at home and abroad, and a safety net in case of national disasters. Let's get real!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Last week we looked at numbers and how they could be used to provide insights into our personalities and what we want out of life. While I do not believe anything can predict the future, I think that we should be open to the possibilities that there are ways to get further insight into our character

Saturday, July 30, 2011

I read somewhere this week that Judge Judy of television fame works five days a month, and makes $45 million a year. Now that's nice work if you can get it.

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

A recent survey says 80 percent of Americans are unhappy with the way Wahington is handling our nation's economy. My question is, what's wrong with the other 20 percent?

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Saturday, July 23, 2011

On a hot day in mid-July 1911, a party of six Coal Dale residents enjoyed a bountiful day of berry-picking on the mountain north of Tamaqua.

The group, which included four women and a father and son, estimated they had picked enough berries for more than 100 quart jars.

"After filling all our pails, buckets and baskets, it was about 7 o'clock and we climbed into the milk wagon to commence the return journey to Coal Dale, via Tamaqua," said Mrs. Charles Herring, 42, whose 11-year-old son Leonard and husband Charles, were also on the trip.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Carl Jung believed in a universal consciousness in which we all share common archetypes. In a way numerology reflects this idea that numbers are a universal language we all share. I will neither support nor condemn the idea of numerology and am presenting it for you to draw your own conclusions.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Every once in a while, I catch glimpses into other worlds. And for one tiny moment, I wonder, am I missing out? Should I be doing more to broaden my horizons?

*The theater.

Who doesn't love live theater? Whether it's Broadway, off-Broadway, a playhouse production, even school performances, I love being entertained by talented people.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Phone hacking, bribery charges I'm sure glad I'm not working for Rupert Murdock these days. Talk about giving the journalism profession a black eye. This scandal tops them all.

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

I, like most Americans, am counting the days until the debt limit deadline, then I'll just kiss my 401-K good bye, or at least a good portion of it. I'm not confident the President and Congress can get this thing settled in time.

There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday morning was a delightful time this week.

I sat there reading last Saturday's TIMES NEWS laughing so hard I had tears running down my face. My raucous laughter brought my husband away from his total attention to the Tour de France.

"What's so funny?" he asked. "I have to see what's making you laugh like that."

I told him columnist Linda Koehler wrote about taking ballroom dancing. Linda has a way of putting humor into everything and this time was no exception.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

A few years ago when we were discussing the creation of a new TIMES NEWS website, the topic of blogs came up. I leaned over to the person next to me and whispered, "What the heck is a blog?"

Although it was explained to me, it seemed a little self-indulgent and unnecessary. I just didn't see the point.