A Lower Towamensing Township family was displaced from their home Friday night when a fire broke out in the garage and spread quickly to the residence.

David and Theresa Christman had just returned to their home at 2605 Walnut Drive from a shopping trip when they said they smelled something hot coming from the garage of their ranch home. The fast moving fire broke out about 8:40 p.m. and destroyed both Theresa's car and a classic car in the garage before spreading to the house.

The fire also damaged the neighbor's siding.

Fire companies responding were Franklin Township, Towamensing, Franklin Township and Aquashicola.

The ranch home was David's childhood home and the couple had nealry finished remodeling it.

The couple,along with their 18-year-old son, will stay with neighbors and relatives for now.

They plan to rebuild. "We're going to do whatever it takes to rebuild," David said Friday night.