Skip to main content

Woman charged in fentanyl death: Police say she sold drugs to a mother of three

  • Empty

    Peggy Hill is led from court by Coaldale Patrolman James Bonner on Friday. CHRIS REBER/TIMES NEWS

Published May 11. 2018 11:07PM

Coaldale Police have charged a woman with providing fentanyl-laced heroin that led to the overdose of a mother of three in March.

Peggy Hill, 52, formerly of Sixth Street in Coaldale, was arraigned on charges Friday morning.

She is accused of selling heroin to a Coaldale woman, Brittany Marley, who died of an overdose in the overnight hours of March 15.

Marley, 27, was determined to have died of an overdose. An autopsy revealed opiates and fentanyl in her system.

Police said that Hill told them during an interview that she was not responsible for Marley’s death because she only sold her the drug and did not put the needle in her arm.

During their investigation, Coaldale police interviewed another woman who said the evening before Marley’s death, she drove Marley and Marley’s boyfriend to a home on Sixth Street in Coaldale to purchase heroin from Hill.

Police then interviewed Marley’s boyfriend, who confirmed that he and Marley had purchased approximately 15 bags of heroin before going home for the evening.

During the investigation, Hill moved to Nesquehoning. Police obtained a search warrant for her new address and during a search found drug packaging materials.

Following the search, Hill’s husband gave police a statement, telling police that Peggy Hill had sold heroin to Marley and her boyfriend on March 14. He reportedly said he was tired of his wife’s dealing, and that she was worried the police were going to find out she had sold heroin to Marley and her boyfriend.

The following day, police interviewed Peggy Hill in a patient room at St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem. She said they were high and that she kicked them out of her house after they broke a bathroom light fixture. She denied having any other contact with them that day other than messages.

After being confronted with her husband’s story, Hill reportedly admitted that Marley and her boyfriend purchased heroin and shot up in her kitchen.

She told police that she did not think Marley died from her heroin, because she injects it and she did not die from it.

On May 3, the Schuylkill County Coroner ruled that Marley died from acute fentanyl toxicity.

According to her obituary, Marley’s favorite hobby was playing and laughing with her three children. She also volunteered with Safer Streets for Tamaqua’s Little Feet.

Hill was arraigned on charges of drug delivery resulting in death, possession with intent to deliver, and related charges. She was released on $50,000 bail. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for May 22 before Judge Stephen Bayer in Tamaqua.


Classified Ads

Event Calendar


January 2019


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed