Slatington Library News
• The 22nd annual basket social will be held Sept. 28 at the Diamond Fire Co. social hall. There will be entertainment by Mick Peters and John Ortiz, and food will be available for purchase. Doors open at 5 p.m., and the drawing will start at 7:30 p.m. You do not need to be present to win. Tickets are now available at the library.
• The local genealogy group meets at the library on the second Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. Next meeting is Oct. 13. For information, look up “Nextdoor.com”
• The book club meets on the first Monday of each month at 1 p.m. The next meeting is Oct. 1. New members are always welcome. The club is now reading “The Snow Child” by Eowyn Ivey. The Book Club will be celebrating its three-year anniversary in November. Author Nichola D. Gutgold will be discussing her book “Just Like You” and the public is welcome. Please watch for further information.
• The topic for the Diabetes lecture for September is “Exercising with Diabetes.” It will be held at 1 p.m. Sept. 26. Bechtel’s Pharmacy Inc. sponsors the diabetes series. Past lectures can be watched on YouTube through links from the library’s home page.
• The Slatington Library is joining the 11 libraries from surrounding communities to form a cooperative. The Lehigh Carbon Libraries Cooperative will join together to share their collections and align their polices and procedures so that residents can seamlessly access all of the libraries.
• The fall session of the preschool story hour will begin at 11 a.m. Nov. 6 and will run for six weeks.
• The library takes donations of books but does not take encyclopedias, National Geographic magazines or Reader’s Digest condensed books.
• The library is changing its book sale. As of April 1, the library will be selling tote bags for $5 that the buyer can then fill with books and items from the book sale area. Individual hardbacks will be $1 and paperbacks will be 50 cents. The tote bags are green with a drawing of the library building on them.
• Library hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday; 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday; and closed Thursday and Sunday. Contact us at 610 767-6461.
For all Slatington Library information, visit www.slatelibrary.com.