Skip to main content

Ski for the Cure on Saturday

Published February 23. 2018 11:12AM

Jack Frost Big Boulder will host the 11th annual Ski for the Cure Breast Cancer Awareness Day on Saturday morning, rain or shine.

Under the leadership of Bernie Oldroyd, the resort will partner once again with the Northeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of Susan G. Komen to raise funds to help residents in NEPA with breast health and bring awareness to the life threatening illness.

“Last year we raised $30,000,” Oldroyd said.

The chairwoman said more than 3,200 people in the northeast were helped with breast health services. “That was the first year we were able to do that,” she said.

To date the annual event has gathered $236,000, making it the second-largest fundraiser for the Komen chapter.

“It’s amazing,” she said.

Oldroyd, a two-time breast cancer survivor, said the key to beating the illness lies in three factors, “Self-exam is so important, knowing your risk factors and family history,” she said.

This year Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine will be on hand with an information booth complete with self-exam demonstration aids.

“They will be encouraging everyone to know the signs of breast cancer. We all know early detection is the key to surviving the life threatening illness. I’m still here doing this so I’m the proof,” she said.

The day will wrap up the Breast Cancer Awareness month at JFBB with all proceeds donated to the Komen chapter and 75 percent staying local to provide medical services for the uninsured women and men in the northeast area. The remaining 25 percent will go directly to the Komen National Research Grant Award Program.

The day will include a pledge drive ski-a-thon, “Pink Olympic” timed race gates starting at 9 a.m., with registration beginning at 8 a.m.

An Olympic-inspired medal ceremony for the best times will be held at 3:15 p.m.

The races are open to all skiers and boarders of every age.

The participants are encouraged to gather sponsorships for the morning event, “They can get pledges or donations from family and friends for the runs as you ski/board/tube ‘For the Cure,’ ” she said.

The biggest event, The Dedication Run, will begin at 11:15 a.m., where skiers and snowboards alike will gather at Janes Lane Chair to remember all those who were lost and honor those who are in treatment and the survivors of their battle with the illness.

“We will have five drummers and bagpipers lead us to the starting line this year,” she said.

“The ski patrol will be our honor guard and we will have traditional Olympic bell ringers ski with us to encourage us down the run,” Oldroyd said.

Following the run, a group photo will be taken of all participants in addition to this year’s new selfie station.

“We will also have T-shirts this year, pink tie-dye with ‘Ski for the Cure’ and a ski jumper on it,” she said.

“They are pretty cool.”

In addition to the timed races, Jack Frost will donate $2 of each lift ticket sold that day to the cause.

Oldroyd said there will be plenty of activities to engage non-snow sports participants, including live entertainment, a tricky tray, and raffle where passes to the mountain, tickets to a NASCAR race, golf outings and local getaways will be auctioned off.

“It’s all donated by local business and restaurant. I’m ever grateful for them because they support us every year,” she said.

For further information please contact Bernie Oldroyd, chairwoman of “Ski for the Cure” at 570-443-8425, ext. 2671, or visit www.jfbb.com.

Donations can be made payable to “JFBB Ski for the Cure” and mailed to JFBB Ski for the Cure, P.O. Box 1539, Blakeslee, PA 18610 or donate online.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2018

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
 
   

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed