Republicans drop suit on vote count
A hearing on the Carbon County hand count audit scheduled for this morning was canceled after the county election board, on Monday, announced it was ending the hand count.
Three representatives of the Carbon County Republican Committee filed an emergency injunction against the hand count last week after officials believed it was against the election law.
Lee Becker, chairman of the Republican Committee, issued a statement Tuesday after filing paperwork in the courthouse discontinuing the suit, effectively ending the need for a hearing on the election matter before President Judge Roger Nanovic.
“We have confidence in the integrity of Dominion Voting Systems’ equipment,” Becker said in the statement. “And we continue to stand by Lisa Dart, the director of Carbon County’s Bureau of Elections. As we have found in the past, she works diligently to serve each and every voter of Carbon County. … Every voter can feel confident that their vote was registered and helped decide the winners and losers.”
On Monday, Commissioner William O’Gurek, chairman of the election board, announced that the ongoing hand count canvass would end Tuesday with 29 of the 51 precincts completed.
“What we found out through that is that while there were some variations in some of the races of a vote here or a vote there, we don’t believe that they are any different from what the scanner totals are,” O’Gurek said during that meeting.
“We’re pretty confident after the hand count of these 29 districts, that the results of the election are not going to change.”
He noted that a few errors were discovered in a few precincts, but those errors were the result of people reading the tapes after an already long Election Day rather than the new equipment.
Dominion brought in a high speed scanner and county officials completed the high-speed scan late last week.