No tax increase in Jim Thorpe School District
Jim Thorpe Area School Board approved the 2018-19 proposed final budget at 45.52 mills, with no increase over last year’s budget.
The board also approved the following:
An addendum allotting $3,500 to help fund a school trip for the band was approved as well.
• Paraprofessional and assistant volleyball coach Nicole Murphy’s resignation, effective May 4.
• Cafeteria worker Susan Farrell’s retirement, effective June 30.
• Posting of two open paraprofessional positions.
• Derek Joyce, Aaron Joyce, Jonathan Simmons, Cassandra Simmons, Emily Hydock, Christy Moore and Tassy Clausius were approved as summer workers at $8 per hour, with hours to be determined by the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
• Jeffrey Getz was approved as a commencement speech adviser at a rate of $220.
• Custodian Nathan Kmetz’s salary was changed from $12 per hour to $11 per hour.
• Summer School Kindergarten Camp teachers were approved for July 9 through 19, pending the number of students registered, at the rate of $40 per hour. Kelli Reese and Lisa Warren were approved to teach at Penn Kidder Campus, and Jamie Kunkel and Sherry Ohl were approved for L.B. Morris.
• Summer schoolteachers were approved for July 9 through 26, pending the number of students registered, at the rate of $40 per hour. Sue Becker, Victoria Nichols, Lorraine Robins, Amy Kresge and Ashley Andrews were approved to teach at Penn Kidder Campus. James Bumbulsky, Marissa Andrews, David Marino and Daniel Rossino were approved for L.B. Morris. Tonia Schaeffer was approved to teach business computers, Robert Kovac Jr. was approved for English, Frank Miller was approved for biology and science, Patrick Morgans was approved for math, Michael McGonigal was approved for social studies and Michael Pascoe was approved for science.
• The purchase of a new van from Rohrer was approved for $29,270, along with the purchase of a used van from Brandywine for $32,000.
• The Scholastic Scrimmage Team’s out-of-state trip to the National Academic Quiz Tournament in Atlanta, Georgia, from May 25 to the 30 was approved.
• The June 11 School Board Meeting was rescheduled to June 18.