Memorial Day events
Submit your Memorial Day event to email@example.com.
• Weissport: Borough’s Armed Forces Day Parade, 1 p.m. today.
• Chestnuthill: Veterans Concert with Chris Eckert at 6 p.m. on May 26 at Chestnuthill Park.
• Lansford: Lansford American Legion Memorial Day services begin at 9 a.m. May 27 at the veterans monument at Kennedy Park. Retired Maj. Gerald New, Senior Panther Valley JROTC instructor, will be the main speaker. WWII veteran, “Battle of the Bulge” participant and 74-year member of American Legion Post 123 George “Bucky” Brimmer will present the memorial wreath at the services. The Lansford Legion will place flags on veterans’ graves in the Summit Hill cemeteries prior to Memorial Day. Anyone whose graves may have accidentally been missed should contact the Legion.
• Lehighton: Memorial Day Service is at 10:30 a.m. May 27 in the Upper Park Amphitheater.
• Nesquehoning: The Nesquehoning VFW and UVO will honor the fallen veterans with small ceremonies at the outlying cemeteries on May 26. Members will leave the post at noon and travel to various cemeteries and monuments throughout the borough. The Nesquehoning Memorial Day parade and program will take place on May 27. The parade kicks off on the west end of Catawissa Street at the veterans monument at 8:30 a.m. and ends at the post home, where a memorial program will take place. All are invited.
• Slatington: American Legion Allen O. Delke Post 16 in Slatington’s Memorial Day weekend starts with the Boy Scouts of the post-sponsored Troop 66 offering poppies on Friday and Saturday to help disabled veterans.
On May 26, the Legion Post 16, Sons of the American Legion Squadron 16, and the Legion Riders will conduct services at nine outlying cemeteries. The Legion Auxiliary will provide lunch afterward.
On May 27, the Legion family will hold services at the remaining three cemeteries and at the Trout Creek covered bridge.
The Slatington 99th Memorial Day parade will form on Second and Main Street at 9:30 a.m. The parade to Union cemetery starts at 10 a.m., followed by the main service at Union cemetery.
The public is invited and encouraged to attend and participate at all services.
• Summit Hill: May 27, memorial services begin at 10 a.m. in Ludlow Park, followed by Memorial Day parade at 11 a.m.
The Summit Hill American Legion will host its annual Memorial Day service at Bloomingdale Cemetery, in the White Bear section of Summit Hill at 1 p.m. on May 26.
St. Joseph Parish of the Panther Valley will hold Memorial Day Masses on May 27 at three of the parish’s cemeteries. Masses will be held at 7:30 a.m. at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery, New Columbus; 8:30 a.m. at Bloomingdale Cemetery, White Bear; and 9:15 a.m. at St. Michael’s old cemetery, Summit Hill. People should bring lawn chairs to the Masses.
• Weatherly: American Legion Post 360 in Weatherly will be celebrating its 100th year as proud participant in the community Memorial Day celebration on May 26-27. At 7 a.m. May 26 the post honor guard and rifle squad will meet at the post home for a light snack and coffee. At 8 a.m. they will proceed to honor the veterans buried at the six cemeteries outlining the borough, and the veterans living at Weatherwood and Heritage Hill Senior living facilities.
At 8 a.m. May 27, salute by the post honor guard and rifle squad at the Civil War Monument on Spring Street. At 8:30 a.m. the parade will form at Tweedle Park and at 9 a.m. the parade will step out to Saint Nicholas Cemetery for the program and salute. The parade will continue to Union Cemetery for the main program and salute by the post honor guard and rifle squad.
After the parade, the following activities will be held at the post home: The naming of the Legion hall in memory of a decorated local World War II fighter pilot, a celebration of 100th year of participation of Post 360 in Memorial Day activities, presentation of 50-year continuous membership certificates to post members and dedication of Eagle Scout Project at flagpole and base. A light lunch will be served.