It’s in your nature: How about an exam to end the 2018 columns?
This blond coyote has been seen the past two years.
An exam gauges the teacher’s success as much as what the student (you) have learned.
Check your answers on the page bottom — NO PEEKING — and do your best.
Identify photos 1 through 8.
Multiple choice questions: Choose the one correct answer.
9. The ______, an invasive introduced plant, is overwhelming our roadsides and fence rows. A. goldenrod, B. Japanese knotweed, C. hay-scented fern, D. colt’s foot
10. The _____ arrived in South America from Africa and steadily moved northward, eventually into Pennsylvania. A. snowy egret, B. great blue heron, C. cattle egret, D. brown pelican
11. ______ is a noted hawk watch area straddling Lehigh and Carbon Counties atop the Blue Mountain. A. Middle Creek, B. Bake Oven Knob, C. Hawk Mountain, D. Wind Gap
12. The monarch butterfly, in late summer and early autumn, leaves our region to migrate to _____ for the winter. A. Texas, B. Florida, C. Mexico, D. Fantasy Island
13. Which of these is not a diving duck? A. red-necked grebe, B. bufflehead, C. ring-necked duck, D. mallard duck
14. Which of these is a true hibernator? (Body temperature drops to 40-degree range) A. groundhog, B. black bear, C. chipmunk, D. meadow vole, E. couch potato
15. The _____ is a summer resident in the Times News area which migrates to and from Argentina. A. tree swallow, B. great egret, C. eastern phoebe, D. barn swallow
16. _____ numbers are dropping as a result of West Nile virus. A. red fox, B. ruffed grouse, C. coyote, D. Eastern bluebird,
17. Which of these is a precocial bird? A. wild turkey, B. mallard duck, C. killdeer, D. all of these, E. none of these
True or False
18 ____ Male white-tailed deer antlers drop soon after the first 20 degree temperatures arrive.
19.____ Eastern bluebirds usually nest twice each summer.
20.____Spring peepers are a type of warbler.
18-20 correct: You’re a Reed nature Geek Clone
16-17 correct: You’ve got those nature genes
14-15 correct you’re ready to move out of the town
12-13 correct well, there is still hope for you
11 or fewer correct, I guess I didn’t do a great job educating you, OR you need to step away from the TV more …
Nature exam answers
1. Coyote, 2. Yellow-bellied sapsucker sapwells, 3. Spotted salamander, 4. Tree swallows, 5. Spotted lanternfly, 6. Red-bellied woodpecker, 7. Red-tailed hawk, 8. Black vulture
9. B. Japanese knotweed, 10. C. Cattle egret, 11. B. Bake Oven Knob, 12. C. Mexico, 13. D. D. mallard duck, 14. A. groundhog, 15. D. barn swallow, 16. B. ruffed grouse, 17. D. all of these, 18. False, 19. True, 20. False