Skip to main content

Failure in HVAC unit causes evacuation of Northern Lehigh High School

  • Empty

    Emergency personnel responded to Northern Lehigh High School after students and staff were evacuated from the building around 10 a.m. Monday due to a failure in an HVAC unit on the roof. Students and staff returned to the building at around noon. BOB FORD/TIMES NEWS

Published April 16. 2018 01:30PM

A failure in an HVAC unit on the roof caused Northern Lehigh High School to be evacuated Monday morning.

The incident occurred around 10 a.m., according to Superintendent Matthew Link, who said that students and staff exited the building, and a short time later, entered the middle school auditorium.

“The cause of the fire alarm was due to a failure in an HVAC unit on the roof that sent smoke and an odor into sections of the building,” Link said. “The evacuation went as planned, and at no time was anyone in danger.”

Link said that the Slatington, Walnutport and Neffs fire departments, along with Slatington Police Department, and Northern Valley Ambulance, responded to the alarm.

“First-responders and our internal response team determined the cause of the smoke, isolated it and then began to exhaust the building,” he said. “After the odor was mitigated and air quality checks were conducted throughout the building, the fire departments notified administration that the students and staff could return to the building at approximately 12 p.m.”

Link said a modified schedule for classes and lunches was implemented for the remainder of the day.

“I would like to thank all of the first-responders for their immediate response and coordinated efforts,” he said.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

April 2018

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Nearby

40.8647136, -75.8110627

Nesquehoning Woman’s...

40.8837783, -75.6802679

On the heels of a...

40.8497036, -75.4485971

St. Matthew’s UCC an...

40.8644902, -75.7418279

The Mauch Chunk Op...

40.8240269, -75.9048132

Making its area de...