Skip to main content

Concerts canceled, investigation opened into Placido Domingo

Published August 14. 2019 05:45AM

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades.

Domingo has been general director of the LA Opera since 2003 and previously served as the company’s artistic director, jobs that gave him the power to cast roles and — his accusers say — make, or break, careers.

Some of the women told the AP that Domingo used his power at the LA company and elsewhere to try to pressure them into sexual relationships, with several saying that he dangled jobs and then sometimes punished them professionally if they refused his advances.

On Tuesday, the Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star, regarded as one of the greatest opera singers of all time.

New York’s Metropolitan Opera said it would await the results of LA Opera’s investigation “before making any final decisions about Mr. Domingo’s future at the Met,” where he is scheduled to appear next month.

Comments
Joe, you can be the new CPA for the Clinton Global Initiative defunded charity. They could use an incompetent accountant. It would be perfect if the numbers didn’t work out. Crooked Joe & crooked Hillary. “Let us work over your books”, you can say.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

August 2019

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed