Published November 11. 2021 09:34PM
Fundraising for preserving the 1875 Mertztown train station, 337 Chestnut St. and “The Village of Farmington” book launch were primary goals of the Longswamp Township Historical Society’s open house event Oct. 9.
The station, the society’s museum at the 1844 Schubert Haus, 32 Church St. and two historic churches were open for tours as well.
A series of publications on the history of the small communities that make up Longswamp Township, including the newly-released “The Village of Farmington,” are available for sale at the society’s website, www.longswamphistory.org.
PRESS PHOTOS BY Ed Courrier The 1875 Mertztown train station, 337 Chestnut St., is currently on property owned by Atlas Minerals & Chemicals. The Longswamp Township Historical Society has raised $113,751 of the $310,000 cost to disassemble, transport sections to the Longswamp Township Community Park and rebuild the historic structure. The high traffic along the adjacent railroad tracks prevents moving the station in one piece.
Pauletta Reiter, of Emmaus, right, tells Seisholtzville resident Cliff Kerchner the story of how her grandmother, a resident of Shamrock, had caught the train at this station during the early 1900s as she commuted to her job in Allentown. Along the wall is a collection of tools used by the railroad to maintain track and equipment.