Skip to main content

Coroner's inquest finds Schuylkill inmate died of overdose

Published March 31. 2014 07:31AM

An inquest jury found today that a Schuylkill County inmate died of an accidental overdose.

An inmate housed with Matthew Koncsler testified at an inquest into Koncsler's death said he saw Koncsler snort crushed medications in the cel.

James Landron Jr.  of Reading also testified Koncsler was slipped cigarettes beneath the cell door by other inmates Koncsler knew.

"I seen him snort pills, " Landron said.

He said the night before Koncsler's death on March 31, Koncsler complained of head pain.

Landron, Koncsler and a third man shared the cell; all three were on 72-hour lockdown as they had just been incarcerated.

All three were also detoxifying and being given drugs to help wean them off the illegal substances.

Prison CMA Shannon McShaw did Honcsler's medical assessment at intake. He told her he was addicted to heroin, depressants and drank heavily.

She said inmates sometimes exaggerate their addictions to get more detox drugs.

Honcsler's mother, Sherry, testified, saying she didn't know her son used heroin until told by the coroner.

She cried as she read her statement that the family just wants to know what happened.

The prison board will make it a priority to examine and tighten protocols.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries