June 16 set for graduation date for Palmerton
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS On hand to present a gift to Palmerton Area School District Superintendent Scot Engler (first from right) on Tuesday in the amount of $1,500 from the Raising The House group for playground equipment for Towamensing Elementary School in memory of Blaine R. House are (front) sixth-grader Kelly Heinick, (back, from left) Marcia Heinick, Jill Kuzo and Kelli Costenbader.
Palmerton Area High School seniors can finally plan for their commencement exercises.
The school board unanimously agreed on Tuesday to approve June 16 as the graduation date for the Class of 2014.
Also on Tuesday, the board accepted the gift of $1,500 from the Raising The House group for playground equipment for Towamensing Elementary School in memory of Blaine R. House.
Among those on hand from the Towamensing PTO to present the check to the district were Marcia Heinick, sixth-grader Kelly Heinick, Jill Kuzo and Kelli Costenbader.
House, a beloved fifth-grade teacher, passed away suddenly on May 7, 2013.
Since then, a group of parents and members of the Towamensing PTO formed a Blaine R. House Memorial Fund committee.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the purchase of a 2014 Chevrolet Express Commercial Cutaway 3500 Van 139'' using State of Pennsylvania Co-Stars contract pricing in the amount of $33,719 from Hondru Fleet, Manheim, Lancaster County. Funding will be provided by the cafeteria fund.
• Approved resolution 3-18-14 urging the General Assembly to establish a new funding formula for basic education, as suggested by PSBA to House and Senate members of the district, and a copy to Gov. Tom Corbett.
• Approved, on a 7-2 vote, the district's 2014-15 school calendar. Directors Charles Gildner and Darlene Yeakel were opposed.
• Approved the bus transportation service contract with East Coach Company for the Student Council trip to Hershey.
• Approved salary adjustments for horizontal movement on the respective salary levels per the teachers' pending negotiated contract for Miranda Allen from BS+24 to MS, effective the second semester of the 2013-14 school year.
• Approved Heather Krey, Mathematics 7-12, Ann Quinn-May, Elementary, English 7-9, Reading Specialist, and Abby Ward, Art, as day-to-day substitute teachers, effective today.
• Approved Nicole Swartz as a day-to-day substitute custodian, effective today.