Skip to main content

Lansford man charged in hunting knife assault

Published July 15. 2014 11:15AM

Lansford police have charged a borough man with terroristic threats, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and other crimes after he touched a woman with a hunting knife.

Russell Lloyd, 48, of 50 E. Water St., is also charged with harassment/subjecting another to physical contact and disorderly conduct/engaging in fighting. he was arraigned before District Judge Casimir Kosciolek and released on $3,000 unsecured bail.

Here's what happened, according to an affidavit of probable cause released this week by officer Jason Helmer:

At 9:39 p.m. May 25, he was dispatched with emergency medical services to the corner of East Water and Walnut streets for a reported assault/stabbing.

The victim, Virginia Christman, had a superficial injury, some redness, on her left shoulder. She refused treatment.

Christman told Helmer that she had been walking home with Chaun West-Samaroo, Nikki Rehrig, and Christina Keiner, and a girl who was not identified by police when they were confronted by Lloyd, who emerged from the darkness with his wife, his son, and the son's girlfriend.

Christman told police that Lloyd said, "I told you I was going to get you! You're dead!"

Christman said Lloyd began chasing her and the others with a silver hunting knife and that he made contact with her shoulder with the knife blade.

The incident was reported to be retaliation for an assault on Lloyd's son that happened the previous day in Coaldale. The others backed Christman, saying Lloyd had been "acting crazy" and was possibly under the influence of drugs. Lloyd, wearing a red T-shirt and jeans, had run away.

Police tried contacting Lloyd at his house, with no success. They did talk with his wife, Denise, who said he wasn't home and that she had last seen him about 20 minutes earlier. She told police her husband typically went for a walk at about this time, and denied any knowledge of any confrontation with Christman. She said she believed the complaint was fabricated.

Police spoke with Lloyd's son, who said he had not seen his father and had been upstairs in his bedroom, playing video games. His girlfriend said she was there with him and also knew nothing of any incident.

Police searched the home but found nothing. Denise Lloyd was asked to have her husband contact police when he returned home.

On May 26, police spoke with Lloyd via telephone. Helmer asked him to come to the station to talk. Lloyd told Helmer he had gone for a walk at 11 o'clock that night and had stayed in the woods until 1 a.m. He denied any knowledge of an altercation.

He did not come in to the station as Helmer had asked.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


November 2017


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries