Jim Thorpe superintendent recognized for support of Army reservist
George Duell, Army Reserve Ambassador for the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, recognized Dr. Barbara Conway, superintendent of the Jim Thorpe Area School District, at Monday evening's regular school board meeting. Conway was recognized with a national level award (Employer Award) for her support of an Army Reserve soldier.
"I'm here tonight representing a chief of the Army Reserve, LTG Jeffrey Talley," stated Duell.
He said they were honoring Conway for "outstanding support for one of her employees, Chief Eric Flowers, who is the instrumental director here for the school district."
Flowers is also an active Army Reservist. Flowers presented Conway with a medallion and Duell presented her with a Patriot Partner Flag and Commanders Coin.
"On behalf of the district, I thank you both," she said.
During the meeting Conway also recognized board members for their service as part of School Board Director Recognition Month.
Walter Schulz was approved as a school board member for the two-year vacancy seat and the oath of office was administered.
In other news, the board approved the following:
• Employment of Security Company, Intrepid Detective Agency.
• Schulz as JTASD representative to CLIU Board of Directors.
• Formulate plans for SAT Prep Class.
• Randall Smith as JTASD representative to LCCC Board of Directors.
• Employment of Lauren Mundinger, director of transportation.
• Posting of a secondary special education teacher position.