Polk Township reorganizes with few changes
Brian Ahner will remain chairman of Polk Township Supervisors, with Michael Hurley as vice chairman and Nancy May continuing as secretary/ treasurer of the board.
Ahner and May will receive compensation because they are working supervisors. Salaries will be set by the township auditors.
Supervisors are entitled to $50 per meeting compensation but Hurley is the only one to receive it since he is not employed by the township.
May said that in previous years she had met with the auditors and had voluntarily taken a $1,000 cut. Last year she took a $3,000 cut and is considering meeting with the auditors again to take another cut.
Ahner made the motion for Hurley to receive a $100-a-day compensation for attending the state convention. May said he should be reimbursed for his meals, also. It was approved, 3-0.
Currently there are nine full-time employees of the township: Brian Ahner, roadmaster; Glenn Green, Dave Novajovsky, Harold Touni Jr. road work/solid waste/vehicle repairs; Nancy May, secretary/treasurer; Gerald Zurat, zoning/codes officer; Ruthanne Toner and Beverly Christman, clerical staff.
The board voted, 3-0, to pay: Zurat $18 per hour; increase Toner's from $13 to $14 per hour; and Christman's from $11.50 to $13 per hour.
Full time employees receive: 12 paid holidays; five sick days; one week vacation after one year of service and after five years of service, one additional vacation day per year with a maximum of 10 days; clothing allowance for road-crew; weekly disability and life insurance while employed; medical benefits and a retirement plan at age 62 (without employee contribution), vested after 10 years.
Full-time workers who attend a supervisor meeting are paid $15.
Part-time road work/ solid waste employees are: Tommy Longyhore, Ryan Schlogl and Jonathan Vazquez.
The board approved, 3-0, to hire Bob Shupp for part-time plowing of deep snows at $18.50 an hour.
Mileage reimbursement is at the 2014 federal rate of 56 cents-per-mile for use of an employee's personal vehicle on township business.
The board approved 3-0:
• $145 per hour forattorney James Fareri, counsel to the supervisors; $125 per hour for attorney Jerry Hanna, counsel to the Planning Commission; $150 per hour for attorney Robert Lear, counsel tothe Zoning HearingBoard
• $84 per hour to Russell Kresge Jr. with Gilmore Associates as township engineer
• $50 per hour plus use of township vehicle for John Blick, township building inspector
• $150 per hour to Gary Borger for perc test observation
• $550 compensationto Delbert Zacharias as caretaker for the Polk Township Nature Park. He opens and closes the gate daily and maintains the park.
• Nancy May as 2014voting delegate to the PSATS Convention
• Beverly Christman as the 2014 delegate to the Monroe County TaxCollection Committee
• Milton Faust as 2014 Vacancy Board Chairman
• Zoning Hearing Board for 2014: Harold Touni (2-year term); Thomas Milewski (3-year term); Georgia Hodyl (1-year term); Carl Scarcone as an alternate (1-year term)
• Planning Commission for 2014: Harold Kreger (4-year term to end of 2015); Carl Heckman (4-year term to end of 2014); Al Barney Jr. (4-year term to end of 2017); Michael Hurley (4-year term to end of 2014); Rick Courtwright (4-year term to end of 2018). The board is seeking an alternate for the board.
• Barry Borger as Emergency Management Coordinator and to receive $100 compensation for all day meetings at the Monroe County Control Center.
Ahner requested the secretary to notify Hanover Associates by letter that the township would no longer need their services as sewage enforcement officer. Instead, the supervisors have hired Rick Fisher, of Bangor, and his business is Fisher Environmental Services. His rates were less. He charges a lower specific fee per item and that should be a savings from the amounts that the township had been paying in the past to Hanover Engineering. If Fisher sometimes needs to charge an hourly rate for something outside his normal fees it will be $60 per hour. He does not charge for mileage, phone calls, emails, and copies.
Regular board meetings will be held at 7 p.m. on the fourth Monday of every month, at the township municipal building, unless other wise noted: Jan. 27; Feb. 24; March 24; April 28; May 19 (third Monday); June 23; July 28; Aug. 18 (third Monday); Sept. 22; Oct. 27; Nov. 24; Dec. 22.
The Planning Commission meetings will be held the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the municipal building: Jan. 14; Feb. 11; March 11; April 8; May 13; June 10; July 8; Aug. 12; Sept. 9; Oct. 14; Nov. 11; Dec. 9.
The Zoning Hearing Board will meet as necessary on the third Tuesday of the month at 4 p.m. at the municipal building.