Ahner to lead JT council
RON GOWER/TIMES NEWS Jim Thorpe borough officials who participated in Monday's reorganization meeting are, seated l-r, Mayor Michael Sofranko; Gregory Strubinger, vice president of borough council; Elizabeth "Betsy" Ahner, council president; standing from left, Attorney James Nanovic, solicitor; and Joanne Klitsch, Thomas Highland, Joseph Krebs, John McGuire, and Paulette Haupt, all council members.
Elizabeth "Betsy" Ahner was unanimously re-elected president of Jim Thorpe Borough Council during its reorganization Monday evening.
This begins her third year on the council and third year as president. In 2012, when she was first seated as a council woman, she was immediately named president.
Gregory Strubinger was elected vice president by unanimous vote.
The council agreed to continue meeting the second Thursday of each month.
Mayor Michael Sofranko swore-in four members of the council who were elected or re-elected in the November general election. They are Strubinger, Joanne Klitsch, Thomas Highland, and Paulette Haupt.
Attorney James Nanovic was reappointed borough solicitor.
Louise McClafferty will remain the borough secretary.
Maria Sebelin will continue to serve as the borough treasurer.
No action was taken on the appointment of a fire chief and assistant chiefs. The position is presently held by William Diehm.
Names submitted by the Jim Thorpe Fire Department for chief and assistants for 2014 and 2015 are Jarrod Steber, Vince Yaich, and Diehm.
The council is expected to act on the matter when it meets in regular session at 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
Also delayed until Thursday was the appointment of a representative to the Jim Thorpe Memorial Park Commission.
Joseph Schatz was reappointed chief of police while Lee Marzen was retained as the detective for the police department.
Other appointments were:
• James Trainer as street supervisor.
• Edward Gula as sewer supervisor.
• Vince Yaich as water supervisor.
• Mauch Chunk Trust Company as depository for borough funds.
• Entech Inc. as the borough's entineer for water, sewer, streets, and other departments on an "as needed" basis.
• William Solomon as the vacancy board for a one-year term.
• Barry Isett & Associates as the zoning/building company for the borough.
• William Brior as the sewage enforcement officer and the well enforcement officer. Bruce Dobosh will serve as the alternate to the two positions.
• Buckno & Lisicky is the borough's auditor.
• Andrew Roberts will be retained as an alternate member of the Jim Thorpe Zoning Hearing Board. James Billig was reappointed as an alternate member.
• Councilman Strubinger was renamed as the borough's representative to the Jim Thorpe Memorial Park Commission.
• Curtis Jackson will again serve as the borough's representative for the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
• August Long was retained as the health officer for the borough.
• Maria Sebelin will keep serving as delegate to the Carbon County Tax Collection Committee.
• The council retained McClafferty as the open records officer. She also will continue serving as alternate delegate to the Carbon County Tax Collection Committee.
• Chris Jackson and Jacob Arner were retained as members of the Internation Property Maintenance Board.