Skip to main content

One hurt, 65 evacuated in Tamaqua blaze Sunday

  • DONALD R. SERFASS/TIMES NEWS
    DONALD R. SERFASS/TIMES NEWS Tamaqua firefighters position trucks on East Broad Street to attack a blaze inside the Majestic House apartment complex late Sunday morning.
Published February 23. 2014 04:58PM

One man suffered burns and 65 residents were evacuated two times after a stubborn fire hit a seven-story apartment complex in downtown Tamaqua Sunday and then rekindled a few hours later.

The blaze, which, according to Tamaqua Fire Chief Tom Hartz Jr., was caused by careless smoking, erupted shortly after 9 a.m. in a rear, third-floor apartment of the Majestic Housing Complex, which was occupied by a 60-year-old resident.

The unidentified man suffered burns to his knee and elbow, and various cuts and was taken to St. Luke's Hospital - Miner's Campus, Coaldale, for treatment.

Residents were evacuated and then allowed to return to their units within an hour. However, the blaze flared up again and a second alarm rang shortly after 11 a.m., forcing another full-scale evacuation.

Food, water, blankets and even hot meals were provided to firefighters and displaced residents by the Tamaqua Diner, Tamaqua Salvation Army, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts and Tamaqua Volunteers.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

November 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   
  

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries