Skip to main content

Hearings continued in road rage fight

Published February 20. 2014 01:34PM

Hearings for two Carbon County men involved in an apparent road rage incidents in Lehighton last Dec. 18 have been postponed for another month.

A hearing scheduled Wednesday for Jim Thorpe football star Ryan R. Saunders II, 18, of Jim Thorpe, was continued until 2 p.m. March 19.

A hearing scheduled for next Wednesday for Kirt D. Adams, 57, of Nesquehoning hearing has been continued until 2 p.m. on March 26. Both hearings are scheduled before District Judge Edward Lewis of Jim Thorpe.

Both Saunders, as a defendant, and Adams, who apparently was set to testify about the incident, were present for the scheduled hearing of Saunders yesterday. After over an hour of discussions between the lawyer of Saunders, Attorney Paul Levy, and Assistant District Attorney Jane Engler, it was agreed to continue the hearing.

The charges against both Saunders and Adams originated at about 3:27 p.m. on Dec. 1. Arresting officer Matthew Arner states he was dispatched to a fight in progress at that time in the area of 327 N. Second St.

According to the affidavit, conflicting statements were given to Arner regarding what happened, but the situation started at the interesection of Broadway and Susquehanna streets in Jim Thorpe. Sanders told police he and another person in the vehicle being driven by Saunders were involved in an altercation in Jim Thorpe with Adams.

Adams had told police that he was behind the Saunders vehicle in Jim Thorpe and at the intersection, Saunders didn't proceed through a traffic light when it turned green so he honked his horn, according to the affidavit. Adams was behind the Saunders vehicle on Route 209 to Lehighton.

He followed Saunders to Second Street and when Saunders pulled into a parking spot, Adams pulled into a parking space across the street from them, records say. A fight broke out and Adams sustained serious injuries by Saunders and his passenger, a minor, according to the police affidavit.

Saunders has been charged with aggravated assault, conspiracy-aggravated assault, simple assault, unsworn falsification to authorities, and corruption of minors since he had a minor passenger at the time of the incident.

Adams has been charged with possession of a prohibited offensive weapon, simple assault and disorderly conduct.

Adams was charged in a standoff with police last June. A former co-worker had alerted police that Adams had sent a text message threatening suicide.

When police arrived at his apartment, Adams answered the door and began screaming at police to leave him alone. He held his left hand behind his back as if he was holding something.

He continued to be irate and unruly, and police were told he had a .45 caliber handgun. More police were called in, and Carbon County Emergency Management Coordinator Mark Nalesnik evacuated nearby homes and cordoned off the area.

Adams eventually surrendered. police found the loaded gun in his bedroom, and a Remington sawed-off shotgun and another loaded handgun in his two vehicles. They charged Adams with possession of a prohibited offensive weapon, simple assault and disorderly conduct. He was jailed under $100,000 bail.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries