Lower Towamensing fire dept. celebrates 85 years
Lower Towamensing Township's fire company is about to turn 85 years old.
Board of Supervisors Chairman Brent Green announced on Tuesday that the Aquashicola Fire Company will celebrate the milestone March 1.
The board unanimously agreed to pass a resolution, and present a plaque, to the fire company located at 270 Little Gap Road.
The fire company was established in 1929, and incorporated in 1956. It provides fire protection for over 3,200 residents, which comprises 1,207 households, across 21.2 square miles, according to its web site.
Road crew complimented
Supervisor Jesse Mendez took a moment to praise the township's road crew for its work in dealing with the winter weather.
"Thanks a lot," Mendez said. "You guys have done a heck of a job."
Green also took a moment to express the township's appreciation.
"Our road crew did an outstanding job," Green said. "We handled it really well."
In other business, supervisors:
• Granted conditional approval to Palmerton Garage Door's proposed land development plan at its storage complex, located along Stoney Ridge Road. The plans call for the construction of a 10,000-square-foot storage building.
• Granted conditional approval to the Harry/Elaine Eckhart subdivision plan.
• Appointed Green as Chief Administrative Officer for the township's Pennsylvania Municipal Retirement System (PMRS).
• Appointed Mendez as the township's Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) representative.
• Authorized the township secretary to mail a letter for fire police service for the Carbon County Fair.
• Tabled a request to have the township's assistant secretary and tax collector attend a Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors (PSATS) Convention.