Lehighton Middle School students to stage 'Once Upon A Mattress'
RON GOWER/TIMES NEWS Having roles in the musical "Once Upon A Mattress," which will be staged at Lehighton Area Middle School on Tuesday and Wednesday, are, l-r, Kylie Kresge, Christopher Jensen, Xander Karpowicz, and Emily Barkanic.
Lehighton Area Middle School will present the musical "Once Upon A Mattress" on Tuesday, Feb. 11 and Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 7 p.m. in the Middle School Auditorium.
Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students / seniors. The snow date is Thursday, Feb. 13.
The show is under the direction of Laura Welkey, Middle School music teacher, and features students from grades 5 through 8.
The lead rolls include:
• Madison DeLuca, grade 7, as Winnifred the Woebegone.
• Xander Karpowicz, grade 8, as Prince Dauntless the Drab.
• Emily Haberman, grade 8, as Queen Aggravain.
• Michelle Bozilesky, grade 8, as Lady Larken.
• Tyler Beck, grade 8, as Sir Harry.
• Alexander Keck, grade 8, as the Jester.
• Alison Miller, grade 6, as the Minstrel.
• John DeMatte, grade 6, as the Silent King.
• Hailie Brosky, grade 8, as the Wizard.
"Once Upon A Mattress" is loosely adapted from Hans Christian Andersen's classic fairytale, "The Princess and the Pea."
It was originally written as a one act musical at Camp Tamiment in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains. Broadway designers asked for the musical to be expanded to full-length, and it opened on Broadway in 1959, starring Carol Burnett as Winnifred the Woebegone, who received a Tony Award for her performance.
It was filmed for television in 1964, 1972, and 2005, with the latest version starring Carol Burnett as Queen Aggravain.
There was most recently a Broadway revival of the show in 1996, starring Sarah Jessica Parker.