Palmerton HS to make schedule change
As of next week, Palmerton Area High School students will see a change in their schedules.
Superintendent Scot Engler informed the school board on Tuesday that the district "encountered a little bump in the road with our high school."
As a result, Engler said high school/junior high Principal Paula Husar reached out to the teachers about the schedule.
Husar said there had been a period known as enrichment, which is supposed to be to deliver intervention to students who did not achieve proficiency in the Keystone exams.
However, Husar noted some of the problems associated with that were that teachers could not possibly remediate all of the students at one time with Study Island. In addition, Husar said the appropriate teachers were not matched with the students.
"We are very limited as to what we can do at this point in the school year without uprooting 800-some schedules," Husar said. "The teachers came up with several good ideas, and will be implementing a cross between what they had prior, and we are going to be delivering the intervention."
Husar said that means the teachers will be matched up with the students to give intervention.
Also on Tuesday, the board agreed, on an 8-0 vote, with an abstention from Director Barry Scherer, to approve the proposal with F.J. Lesher General Contractor, Palmerton, for construction work at the Seventh & Delaware Athletic Complex in the amount of $4,500, to be paid for from the district's construction fund.
Joseph Faenza, director of facilities, said that steps will be put up on the Delaware side entrance, and a concrete ramp at the Seventh Street entrance.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the agreement with Lehigh Law Enforcement Officers Association, Inc. at a rate of $18 per man hour, with a minimum of four hours through Dec. 31, 2013.
• Approved the vendor contract with The Safeway Driving School, Inc.
• Approved change order #001, F.A. Rohrbach, Project #1059010.019. The contract sum will be increased by this change order in the amount of $7,233, and the new contract sum, including this change order, will be $207,123.
• Approved salary adjustments for Michael Brennan, from BS to BS+24, and Tricia McElmoyle, from BS to MS, for horizonal movement on the respective salary levels per the teachers' pending negotiated contract, effective Aug. 21, 2013.
• Approved Mark Cuth as food service server for four hours per day, effective Sept. 18, 2013, at a rate of $10.95 per hour, pending contract negotiations.
• Approved leave beginning around Nov. 21, 2013, for Valerie Hunsicker. Her return to work date is to be determined.
• Removed substitute teachers Courtney Everett, Nicholas Haja, Sara Heffner, and Jennifer Miller, per their request.
• Removed guest teachers Frank Porano, Elizabeth Jacobson-Holtz, Amy Krall, and Asimo Long, per their request.
• Removed instructional assistant Amy Hillanbrand, per her request.