Skip to main content

Man allegedly assaults former girlfriend; is stabbed with dish

  • Ruben Rolon
    Ruben Rolon
Published September 10. 2013 05:00PM

Lansford police are looking for a man, allegedly upset over a child support order, suspected of breaking into his former girlfriend's house and assaulting her.

Ruben Rolon, 23, of 238 E. Kline Avenue, Lansford, is charged with burglary, criminal trespass, aggravated assault, simple assault, unlawful restraint, and criminal mischief. A warrant has been issued for his arrest. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at (570) 645-5844.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, here's what happened:

On Aug. 24, Det/Sgt. Jack Soberick learned of a domestic violence incident that had left two people injured, the alleged perpetrator severely enough to be hospitalized. The incident allegedly happened at 1:30 a.m. at 248 E. Patterson St.

Officer Brian Horos had responded to the call. The caller described hearing screaming coming from the house, and had seen a man dragging a woman into the residence. Horos arrived, and found the woman, who complained of pain and injury after having allegedly been assaulted by her former boyfriend, Rolon. Rolon, had fled before police arrived. Police learned there was a location where he could possibly be found.

Horos, assisted by Summit Hill Officer David Midas, found Rolon at a nearby address and arrested him. Rolon had a cut or slash on his chest, and was bleeding. He also had an injury to his face. He was given medical treatment and taken to a hospital.

Later that day, Officer Timothy Wuttke was contacted by the Trauma Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest, letting him know that Rolon had been flown there and was being treated and admitted.

Police obtained statements from witnesses who had seen Rolon trying to get into the victim's house, and had heard him yell "Let me in the (expletive) house!" as the victim yelled "No! get out of my house!"

The witnesses also described hearing the sound of something breaking.

Soberick and Wuttke returned to the house and reviewed the scene after having obtained search waivers from the victim, who lives there, and from the home's owner.

Police found the front storm door had been damaged by being forced open while locked. A glass panel closest to the lock had been pushed out of the frame, and the lower part of the door had been kicked in, a footprint visible on it.

Drops of dried blood were found throughout the house, in the kitchen and on the bottom sill plate of the kitchen/rear door, and in an alleyway behind the home.

Police also found a triangular piece of dishware with a reddish brown line across its width, with a depth of about 9/16 of an inch from the point.

The victim told police she had come home and turned around to lock the storm door when Rolon ran up to the door and demanded to be let in. He banged on the door, and then yanked it open to enter the house.

The victim told police he hit her, and dragged her by the arms into the kitchen. She fought him, kicking, biting and hitting, trying to escape.

At one point, she was able to slightly open the front door and scream for help. But Rolon pulled her back in and blocked the door, locking it. He dragged her back into the kitchen and began smashing plates and glasses around her. He pulled her backward across the kitchen counter and pressed his forearm against her throat, vcutting off her ability to breathe, she told police.

The victim told police that as Rolon choked her, she was in fear for her life. Her efforts to fend him off had been ineffective. His blows to the side of her head had impaired her hearing, and she believed he would kill her.

She managed to grab a broken dish and used it to stab Rolon to keep him from killing her. Rolon fled through the back door.

The victim told police Rolon was upset over the child support order, and that he does not live with her, nor did she invite him over. In fact, she said, she had not seen him for weeks before the alleged attack.

During the interview, Soberick noted that the victim had a red mark on her forehead, and bruises along the top and inner side of her forearm that looked like someone had grabbed her tightly with a hand. She also had marks and scratches on the outer edges of both forearms that appeared to be defensive wounds, according to the affidavit.

Rolon, released from the hospital, fled.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries