N. Lehigh directors : LCCC leader moved college forward
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Recently retired teacher Donna Marushak accepts a gift from Northern Lehigh School Board President Edward Hartman as Superintendent Michael Michaels looks on.
A Northern Lehigh School director has extolled praise on the outgoing president of Lehigh Carbon Community College.
Director Mathias Green took a moment at Monday's school board meeting to acknowledge the work of Donald Snyder, LCCC president, who will be resigning from his post at the end of this year due to health issues.
"In my opinion, I think that Don did a great job down there," Green said. "He did a wonderful job of moving the college forward."
Green, who serves on LCCC's board of trustees, added, "Don will be missed."
Snyder, who will retire Dec. 31, has been LCCC's president since September of 2000.
In a related LCCC matter, Green announced that the college will move its Carbon campus from its current location along Locust Street in Nesquehoning to the west wing of Jim Thorpe Area High School.
"The people from Carbon County are really excited," Green said.
The move will take place in late December, with the site officially opening on Jan. 10, 2014.
Also on Monday, Superintendent Michael Michaels recognized recent retiree Donna Marushak, who retired from the district this past June after 20 years of service.
Michaels said that Marushak's retirement, combined with that of Sharon Williams, means the district has "lost two of our finest teachers."
"I feel honored and privileged to have known Donna," Michaels said. "She's a great, great teacher, but she's an even greater person."
Board President Edward Hartman presented Marushak with a gift on behalf of the board.
Marushak, who had been a fifth-grade teacher at Slatington Elementary, said "it's been my honor to work at Northern Lehigh."
In other business, the board:
• Appointed Samantha Sontag as temporary vacancy replacement, senior high school Integrated Science teacher, replacing an employee on family medical leave, at the substitute teacher rate days 1-20; Day 31 and beyond $45,200 prorated (Step 1 Bachelors on the 2013-14 CBA Salary Schedule), on or about Oct. 15, 2013, with a termination date upon return of full time teacher.
• Appointed Michelle Krill as temporary vacancy replacement, half-time kindergarten music/ library/technology teacher, at Peters Elementary School, replacing an employee on family medical leave, at the substitute teacher rate days 1-20; Day 31 and beyond $22,600 (half of the Step 1B Salary on the CBA Salary Schedule, which is $45,200), effective Aug. 21, with a termination date on or about Nov. 4.
• Appointed Melanie Mohr as middle school cook's helper, replacing Robert Wetzel, who resigned, at a salary of $9 per hour, 2.5 hours per day, 5 days per week, up to 180 student days per year, plus additional cleaning days as needed (213-17 Educational Support Personnel CBA), effective Oct. 15, with a 60-day probationary period that ends Dec. 13.
• Appointed Debi Hollenbach as administrative secretary to the assistant superintendent and director of special education, replacing Kathy Tschudy, who retired, at a salary of $30,000 (prorated for the 2013-14 school year), effective Oct. 7, with a 60-day probationary period ending Dec. 5.
• Approved the change of status for Alice Christman from part-time middle school cook's helper to full-time middle school cook's helper, with no change in salary, effective Sept. 10.
• Approved the administrative transfer of Diana Beltran, from middle school office aide, to Slatington Elementary Office Aide, replacing Debi Hollenbach, at no change in salary, effective Oct. 7.
• Approved a salary increase of $750 for Shelly Pender, substitute teacher caller for the district, effective for the 2013-14 school year. Pender has been employed as the substitute teacher caller since August of 2007, and has not received an increase in salary since 2008. She has also had to assume additional responsibilities associated with the new health care law, and tracking of information. Her new salary will be $8,750 per year.
• Approved Dima Hanna and Jamie Kuhns for salary increases, from $8.50 per hour to $9 per hour, effective Sept. 10, in accordance with the 2013-17 Educational Support Personnel Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Approved Lisa Gassler as a substitute custodian, aide and cafeteria worker for the 2013-14 school year, at the 2013-14 substitute rate, as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule, pending verification of missing personnel file items.
• Approved Tammy Meckes as a substitute secretary/aide and cafeteria worker for the 2013-14 school year, at the 2013-14 substitute rate, as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule, pending verification of missing personnel file items.
• Approved Kimberly Ruland as a substitute aide and cafeteria worker for the 2013-14 school year, at the 2013-14 substitute rate, as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule, pending verification of missing personnel file items.