Skip to main content

Family loses cat in Parryville fire

  • Family loses cat in Parryville fire
    Copyright 2013
Published November 30. 2013 08:18PM

A Parrryville family is being helped by the Red Cross after a fire damaged their home at 326 N. Fireline Road, Parryville. The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. Saturday.

James Brown Jr., lieutenant with the Parryville Fire Company, said Gary Conklin, his wife, Mindy; and two children are mourning the loss of a pet cat, which perished in the fire. Brown said one of their pets did survive, but he didn't have any information about the pet which was rescued.

Brown said that firefighters from Parryville, Franklin Township and Bowmanstown fire companies battled the blaze for 30 to 40 minutes before it was extinguished. Aquashicola Fire Company also assisted at the scene with their tanker truck.

Brown noted that one room on the main floor of the home received heavy fire damage, another room received smoke and heat damage and the third room had smoke damage.

Brown said the fire started in the kitchen area. He said a fire marshal was not called in to investigate.

Despite the narrow road, firefighters were able to battle the blaze with minimal problems, Brown reported.

"It was tight," he said. "The narrow road was congested, but they put the fire out with minimal problems."

Brown said that that without the help of the fire police the fire scene would have turned into a big mess.

"Bowmanstown, Franklin Township and Aquashicola helped us out," he said. "With their help, the fire didn't damage the upstairs of the home."

Brown said that he has been involved with the fire company for 30 years and it is never easy to see families lose their homes, especially around the holidays.

Brown said that the cold temperatures did not hamper the firefighting efforts.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed


Bombers get creative with parade floats

40.8014826, -75.6101867

Some of Palmerton’...

Man faces charges for shooting his dog

40.8014826, -75.6101867

Charges have been...

Extension hosts annual dinner

40.7986942, -75.8104747

The Carbon County Ex...

Reader Photo Galleries