Director noted for years of dedication
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Palmerton Area School District Superintendent Scot Engler presents school board director Darlene Yeakel with a certificate of appreciation for her 12 years of service to the board.
A veteran Palmerton Area School Board Director has been lauded for her dedication to the school district.
Superintendent Scot Engler on Tuesday recognized director Darlene Yeakel with a certificate of appreciation for her 12 years of service to the board.
Engler told the audience he was "very happy and thankful" to award the certificate to Yeakel. In turn, Yeakel expressed her appreciation for the certificate.
Yeakel was among four school directors who won re-election to the board during the Nov. 5 General Election. She, along with the other three directors who won re-election, ran unopposed.
Also on Tuesday, the board heard a student report presented by high school senior Alison Young.
Afterward, Engler said it's the intention to have a student speaker at each meeting.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the "Adopting a 403(b) Plan Document" resolution with Kades Margolis for the purpose of providing a 403(b) tax sheltered annuity program for the district's employees. The document is based on model language released by the Internal Revenue Service.
• Accepted the donation of school supplies from Blue Mountain Health System to S.S. Palmer Elementary and Parkside Education Center.
• Approved the field trip request from Jose Elvir for the Palmerton Area High School International Travelers Club to visit Europe in the summer of 2015; expenses will be the responsibility of the club and students.
• Accepted the status that an unnamed student has completed graduation requirements set forth by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and the Board of Education of the Palmerton Area School District.
• Announced that the board will hold its reorganizational meeting at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3. The board's regularly scheduled meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10.