Skip to main content

Right place at the right time

  • ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Pictured from left are Kyle Oliphant, Tim Phillips and Shawn Phillips.
    ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Pictured from left are Kyle Oliphant, Tim Phillips and Shawn Phillips.
Published March 29. 2013 05:03PM

Three Tamaqua emergency service volunteers were in the right place at the right time as they were walking by the rear parking lot of the Majestic House Thursday.

As they passed the lot someone yelled to them that a car was on fire. The three (consisting of Shawn Phillips of the Tamaqua Ambulance, Tim Phillips of Citizens Fire Company, and Kyle Oliphant of the South Ward Fire Company) grabbed fire extinguishers and put out the fire.

Their quick response limited the damage to the driver's front seat. George Fredericks, the owner of the car, a green Buick LeSabre, told police officer Karl Harig that he must have dropped a cigar ember in the seat.

Fredericks added that he smokes in his car because they aren't allowed to smoke inside the building. When asked by firefighters if this will stop him from smoking, Fredericks simply replied, "No way."

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Nearby

STEP-Up Tamaqua to meet Monday

40.798347, -75.970851

STEP-Up Tamaqua will...

Man faces charges for shooting his dog

40.8014826, -75.6101867

Charges have been fi...

Extension hosts annual dinner

40.7986942, -75.8104747

The Carbon County Ex...

Reader Photo Galleries