Skip to main content

Apartments evacuated after circuit breaker catches fire

  • TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Slatington Fire Department and other first response teams gather outside the George L. Dilliard Manor in Slatington Wednesday morning after a hot water heater malfunctioned. In all, 18 apartment units were evacuated. No…
    TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Slatington Fire Department and other first response teams gather outside the George L. Dilliard Manor in Slatington Wednesday morning after a hot water heater malfunctioned. In all, 18 apartment units were evacuated. No injuries were reported.
Published March 28. 2013 05:02PM

A circuit breaker caught fire, causing a public housing apartment complex in Slatington to be evacuated yesterday morning.

The incident occurred around 10 a.m. Wednesday when a hot water heater malfunctioned and short circuited, which caused a circuit breaker to catch fire in one apartment in the west wing of the fifth floor inside the George L. Dilliard Manor at 425 Kuntz St.

Slatington Fire Chief Keith Weaver said 18 units were evacuated for about an hour. No injuries were reported, Weaver said.

Jason Nicholas, deputy chief, said the Lehigh County Maintenance Staff took care of the electrical issue.

Also assisting at the scene were the Walnutport Fire Department, Emerald Fire Department, Palmerton Fire Department, and Northern Valley EMS.

The complex consists of 75-unit one-bedroom apartments for persons 62 years and over, as well as for the physically challenged, according to the Lehigh County Housing Authority web page.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Nearby

STEP-Up Tamaqua to meet Monday

40.798347, -75.970851

STEP-Up Tamaqua will...

Man faces charges for shooting his dog

40.8014826, -75.6101867

Charges have been fi...

Extension hosts annual dinner

40.7986942, -75.8104747

The Carbon County Ex...

Reader Photo Galleries