PNC Bank is leaving downtown Lehighton
At one time, downtown Lehighton had four banks.
It soon will be down to one.
PNC Bank, which has a branch at 154 S. First St., has sent a letter to its customers stating it is closing that facility on June 21.
The bank also has a branch at Carbon Plaza Mall.
The location has been a bank for generations.
It was opened in 1949 as the Bank of Lehighton. In 1969, the bank merged to become People's First National Bank & Trust Company of Hazleton.
It later became Northeastern Bank before that bank merged with PNC, which is based in Pittsburgh.
The only bank to remain in downtown Lehighton after PNC Bank closes will be a branch of the Bank of America at First and South streets, next to the downtown park.
There is one other bank in Lehighton borough.
Jim Thorpe National Bank has a branch about three blocks from the downtown area, at 145 S. Fourth St.