Some PV board members vote 'no' on coaching positions
Three Pleasant Valley School District board members voted not to approve the proposed 2013-2014 coaching positions. Steve Borger, Russ Gould and James Spinola said that they did not feel they had enough information to vote "yes."
The following head coaching positions were approved by a 5-3 vote:
• Ken Piontkowski, boys' basketball head coach
• Nadia Gauronsky, girls' basketball head coach
The board approved these the following assistant coaching positions for 2013-2014:
• Paul Evans, fall varsity golf.
• Anthony Chupa, boys' varsity basketball
• Matthew Gould, boys' JV basketball
• John Gilbert, boys' freshman boys' basketball
• Thomas Kresge Jr., Junior high boys' basketball
• Dan Beck Jr., high school boys' basketball
• Matt Triolo, girls' JV basketball
• Greg Duff, girls' junior high basketball
The board approved Robert Madsen and Thomas Kresge Sr. as volunteer coaches for boys' basketball.
The board approved the following for supplemental advisers/athletic non-coaching positions:
Sheri Fallon, advanced placement; Robin Feerrar, Art Club; Vanessa Fego, Chess Club; Suzanne Hunsicker, sophomore class adviser; Catherine Barrett, junior class adviser; Mark Tramontina and Monica Tramontina, senior class advisers, split stipend; Melissa Ruschak, high school Computer Club; Barbara Arroyo, Debate Club; Melissa Dennis; PVHS Diversity Club and James Shoopack, PVMS Diversity Club.
Also approved were: Dan Mulligan, PVHS drama director.; Marcie Mulligan and Carol Ring, PVHS drama assistant directors; Rollene Gougher, PVMS drama director; April Kresge, PVMS assistant drama director; Robin Feerrar, PVMS drama set director; Claudia Hill and Susan Pekala, PVMS Ecology Club; Melissa Ruschak PVHS FBLA; Roxanne Altemose, PVMS fly tying; and Loir Bettencourt, PVHS GSA.
The board also approved: Meghan Sobieski, PVHS Art Honor Society; Jim DeVivo, PVHS Music Honor Society; John DeVivo, PVMS jazz band director; Melissa Dennis, Leo Club; Bernadette Fierro, literary magazine; Christina Novak, PVHS Mock Trial adviser; Melissa Ruschak, PVHS Mock Trial assistant adviser; Dan Mulligan, PVHS musical director; Marcie Mulligan and John DeVivo, PVHS musical assistant directors; Roxanne Scott, PVMS musical director; Rollene Gougher, PVMS assistant musical director; Robin Feerrar, PVMS musical set designer; Susan McDermott, PVHS musical set painter; Jackie Ludka, PVMS newspaper adviser; Shannon Mackes and Nadine Scheller, SADD; Rober Young, Scholastic Scrimmage adviser; and Sandy D'Agostiono, Scholastic Scrimmage assistant adviser.
Also approved were: Shannon Mackes, Science Olympiad; Craig Morris, PVMS stage manager; Rachel Frable, PVHS assistant stage manager; Tim McCutchan, PVHS Student Government; Linda Reborchick, PVMS Student Government; Justine Curcio, World Language; Philomena Reduzzi, PVHS yearbook; Sandy D'Agostino and Suzanne Hunsicker, PVMS yearbook; Nadia Gauronsky and Chris Jarrow, 2013 summer intramural basketball; Mark Allison and Ralph Weichand, 2013 summer tennis.
In other business, the board approved, 8-0:
• the purchase of new textbooks for PVI
• to discard novels from PVMS that are in unusable/poor condition
• Preventive Maintenance Agreement with CSI for PVI for $620 annually, from July 1, 2013-June 30, 2014, no increase from last year
• Preventive Maintenance Agreement with CSI for PVE for $4,137 annually, from July 1, 2013-June 30, 2014, an increase of $197 from last year
The board approved, 7-1 (Spinola voted no):
• to hire Charles Tomori as a summer computer technician at an hourly rate of $10.47, effective on or about June 17, 2013
• to hire as paraprofessional associates for the ESEA Title I Summer School at PVE at a weekly rate of $360-Annamarie Bauer; Christine Finelli; Kim Karaman; Mary Ann Koehberger; Susan Marcin; Catheirn Schaffner; Lynn Walling
• hiring Henrietta George as a substitute custodian/cafeteria
• to hire for the 2013-2014 school year-Kevin Scanlon, MS+54, Step 5, salary $62,700, replacement school counselor for Lauren Churchill
• to hire for 2013-2014 James Shoopack, Spanish teacher from 53 percent to 64 percent, remaining at PVMS
• to hire for 2013-2014 Valerie Seligman, German teacher from 53 percent to 90 percent from PVMS to PVMS/PVHS
• a demotion from full-time to part-time (53 percent) of Sally Drosnock, business/computer information technology teacher for 2013-2014 from PVHS to PVMS
• the resignation of David Webb, PVI 5th-grade teacher, effective the conclusion of the 2013-2014 school year.
• purchase order to Quality Air Specialists, Inc. for purchase of HVAC air filters for 2013-2014 school year for $16,387.38
• a Waiver and Release for the removal of trees from PVSD property
• the 2013-2014 PVSD K-12 Student-Parent handbook
The board approved 7-1 (Spinola voting no):
• to hire the firm of Newman, Williams, Mishkin, Corveleyn, Wolfe and Ferrara as solicitor for the 2013-2014 school year at an annual retainer of $20,000 (no change from last year) and an hourly rate of $160 for services not covered by the retainer
• to utilize the services of Levin Legal Grop for the 2013-2014 school year at an hourly rate not to exceed $180 per hour. (no change from last year)
• to utilize the services of law firm of Sweet, Stevens, Katz and Williams, LLP for the 2013-2014 school year at an hourly rate not to exceed $185 per hour., no change from last year
• to utilize services of the law firm of King, Spry, Herman, Freund and Faul, LLC for the school year of 2013-2014 at an hourly rate not to exceed $175 per hour, no change from last year
• to utilize the services of Bollinger Law Firm, LLC for the 2013-2014 school year at an hourly rate not to exceed $225 per hour, no change from last year
The board approved, 6-2 (Spinola and Murphy voting no), the Resolution for the Proposed Restated Monroe Career and Technical Institute Articles of Agreement June 2013.
Dr. Arnold thanked Monica Kotzmann, PVSD administrative assistant to business manager, for her work in securing a $2,500 grant from FEMA for hurricane damage