Skip to main content

Man in standoff with police charged

Published June 10. 2013 05:06PM

A Nesquehoning man, who was involved in a standoff with police earlier this month, was jailed on charges related to that incident.

Nesquehoning police have charged Kirt Adams, 56, of 231 W. Columbus Ave., Apt. 2, with one count each of prohibited offensive weapon, simple assault, and disorderly conduct.

On June 3 officers were notified by the county communications center that Adams had sent text messages to a former co-worker indicating he planned to commit suicide.

Chief Sean Smith went to the residence with the back up of Chief John Turcmanovich of Lansford, and Det. Lee Marzen of Jim Thorpe.

At the home Adams answered the door and began screaming at the officers to leave him alone. While speaking with Adams the officers said he continued to be irate and confrontational with his left hand behind his back like he was holding something possibly a weapon.

As Adams became more unruly officers Smith and Marzen pulled their weapons. Turcmanovich was in front of Adams and did not pull his weapon in fear for his safety and that of Adams.

The officers then retreated from the home and set up a perimeter around the home. More officers arrived from Rush Township and Weatherly. Also county emergency management director Mark Nalesnik arrived to set up a command area and homes surrounding Adams' home were evacuated.

Eventually Adams surrendered to officers and was placed under arrest. He was transported to a local hospital for evaluation.

A protective sweep of the home was conducted as officers were told during the standoff that Adams had a .45-caliber handgun registered in his name.

Search warrants were secured for the apartment and two vehicles registered to Adams.

A handgun was found in an upstairs bedroom. A Toyota Corolla and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo were searched. Found in the vehicles were a Remington sawed-off shotgun and a lock and loaded handgun, loaded with one shell in the chamber. A knife and ammunition were found in the home.

Adams was arraigned and failed to post $100,000 bail and was committed to the county prison.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries