Pleasant Valley's board says 'good-bye' to superintendent
Several board members and staff of the Pleasant Valley School District congratulated Dr. Douglas Arnold, PVSD's superintendent, on his forthcoming retirement, to begin July 31.
Dr. Arnold thanked the board for allowing him to come to PV, saying he hoped he stood up to some of the district's standards and expressed his appreciation of the school board
"The school board puts in countless hours at no pay. They listen to their hearts and minds. What five people say, that's what we do. It's Democracy at its finest," he said.
He talked about how they got a lot of great things done, but didn't just rubber stamp anything. He applauded the board's recognition the district's students for their accomplishments and for all they do for the community.
"It's been a great place to be. We have a wonderful administrative team who work very hard. When I leave, it will just continue to get better," he said,
He thanked his father, Charles Arnold, and his wife, Dora.
"Without her, I would be much less. She has always supported me. We have two wonderful sons ... I pray to God I was able to fulfill some good things for PV ... I was a Bear for all those early years and now leave a Bear," he said.
Thomas Murphy, PVSD's board president said, "You did make a difference. You asked us what we wanted and you helped make that happen. You worked well with us and elevated our district."
He presented Dr. Arnold with a plaque to show the board's appreciation for his years at PV.
In other business, the board approved 5-0, with Harvey Frable, Russ Gould, Charles Hoffman, Dominick Sacci absent:
• a sabbatical leave of absence to Deborah Gibbons, PVI teacher, for the first semester of 2013-2014 school year;
• letter of retirement for Elsa Henn, PVHS monitor, effective July 31;
• letter of resignation from Kimberly Engler, PVMS family and consumer science teacher, effective Aug. 26;
• hiring: Heather Wadding, fourth grade at PVI, replacement for David Webb, $43,300; Shanna Mills, four th grade PVI, replacement for Lindsey DeSantis, $40,900; Adrianne Keefer, fifth grade PVI, long-term substitute position for Crystal Hicks, $40,900 prorated; Carol Simonson, third grade PVE, replacement for Carolyn McCormick, $40,900.
• to accept the resignation of Greg Duff as 2013-14 Girls' Jr. High Basketball assistant coach;
• named 2013-2014 intramural advisers for fall season: Ken Piontkowski, Anthony Chupa, boys basketball; Greg Duff, assistant coach girls freshman basketball; Jeff Lazowski, Jr. high football;
• named to supplemental and co-curricular adviser positions: Holly DeVivo, equipment manager; Jessica Holmes, JV fall cheering/JV winter cheering; Vivien Kloss, eighth-grade cheering; Theresa Sinsko, Senior Honor Society; Diane Dudak, Amelia Meixsell, Eileen Arnold, PVMS Sewing/Crochet Club (will split one stipend);
• named Shannon Mackes as volunteer fall cheering coaching;
• to advertise for sealed bids for spring athletic supplies and equipment;
• to purchase a scoreboard for PVMS soccer field for $4,404.
The board approved the following contracts with:
• Ready Set Run-Strides Walking Program between July 23-Oct. 8 for $100;
• Lehigh Valley Physicians Group, maximum 600 sports physicals for the 2013-2014 school year at cost of $12,500; if any additional physicals needed, each to be charged $15 each, not to exceed $15,000;
• CIT Finance LLC for Subscription Trend Micro Enterprise Security Suite, June 17, 2013-June 16, 2016 at $52,860;
• C.M. Eichenlaub Co., $10,179 for mandatory bleacher inspection at PVHS main and auxiliary gyms, PVE, PVI and PVMS main and auxiliary gyms;
• Xerox, $57,000/monthly for 72-month contract;
• Behavioral Health Associates for Education Services, effective for 2013-2014 school year at $89 per day regular education; $125 per day special education; $200 per day intensive social skill training; $150 per day classroom of rehabilitative education; $62.50 per day Career Employment Program; $25 per day Ebridge Academy Online Education; $30 per hour one-on-one instructional assistant; $65 per hour interpreter/Spanish; $175 per psychiatric evaluation; $175 per psychological evaluation; $50 per half days and $75 full day STAR summer program; $27 per hour STAP summer therapeutic activities program; $30 per trip plus 5 cents per mile specialized transportation;
• Mechanical Service Co. for $5,588 for annual boiler maintenance at Polk Elementary and PVHS, Chestnuthill Elementary, PV operations facility.