Skip to main content

Lansford dwelling fire

  • ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Lansford firefighters Zach Gilbert, left, and Jim Kindt negotiate a large exhaust fan at the front porch to the home.
    ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Lansford firefighters Zach Gilbert, left, and Jim Kindt negotiate a large exhaust fan at the front porch to the home.
Published July 19. 2013 05:05PM

Emergency crews were called to a house fire at 214 East Bertsch St., Lansford around 1:30 a.m. today after the resident reported flames climbing up a first floor wall of his home.

"When we arrived, we noticed heavy smoke in the home," said borough Det./Sgt. Jack Soberick. "The resident put out the fire."

Firefighters were quick to place exhaust fans and use thermal imaging cameras to inspect the affected areas for hidden hot spots.

"The fire started after an insufficient extension cord powering an air conditioner overheated and caught fire," said borough Fire Chief Joe Cannon. "This incident should be a learning example to people using improperly rated extension cords to power appliances."

No serious injuries were reported.

Responding were fire companies from Lansford, Coaldale, Summit Hill and Tamaqua. Also responding were Tamaqua's Rapid Intervention Team and Lehighton Ambulance.

"The emergency responders were great," said resident Ed Groller, who was covered with smoke dust. "They were on scene within a short while. These guys were fabulous."

"Thank God the smoke detectors woke them or this could have been much worse," said Soberick.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries