Skip to main content

Former Carbon resident facing murder charges

Published July 09. 2013 05:02PM

A former Carbon County resident will now face murder charges after the victim of a brutal attack has died.

Dale Wakefield Jr., 21, of Bucks County, who spent time in the Carbon County prison for assaulting his mother when he resided in Penn Forest Township, will now be charged with criminal homicide for the stabbing and beating of a homeless man at a train station in Doylestown.

Wakefield was arrested over the past weekend at a motel in Baltimore after he fled the area following the attack on George Mohr, 71. Mohr sustained more than 70 stab wounds from a pocket knife plus blunt force trauma and a brain injury. He died at Temple University Hospital.

An arrest warrant for Wakefield was issued following the incident that reportedly occurred last Wednesday night. He was charged with attempted homicide.

Since Mohr died, the Doylestown Intelligencer reported that Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler said the criminal complaint against Wakefield has been amended to add the charge of criminal homicide.

Wakefield has waived extradition and has been returned to Pennsylvania.

On March 19 Wakefield was sentenced by Carbon County Judge Steven R. Serfass to serve seven to 23 months in the county prison on charges of simple assault and terroristic threats. He pleaded guilty to the charges in January for an incident that occurred on Sept. 2, 2012, at the home of his mother in Penn Forest Township. Other counts, including recklessly endangering and aggravated assault were dropped in a plea bargain.

State police at Fern Ridge charged Wakefield assaulted his mother after she refused to give him her vehicle. He grabbed her by the hair, threw her against a wall in the home and held a knife to her throat, troopers said. He also pointed a BB gun at her and fired, striking her on the right thigh, which caused a bruise. He also swung the gun like a baseball bat at her.

He was released from jail on March 25 after receiving 199 days credit for time spent in jail on the charges. He was on probation in Carbon, but his supervision was transferred to Bucks County when he moved there after his release from jail in Carbon.

According to police in Bucks, Wakefield stabbed Mohr after a night of drinking celebrating his 21st birthday on July 2.

The Intelligencer reported that Wakefield left his victim unconscious and fled. Mohr never regained consciousness.

Wakefield contacted his sister, Wendy Wakefield, last Thursday morning telling her he had stabbed someone and may have killed him. He told her was at a motel in Baltimore. She related the information to authorities who alerted Baltimore police, who took him into custody.

No motive for the attack has been established by police.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries