Responders net $300,000 in state funds
Rep. Doyle Heffley (R-Carbon) today announced more than $310,000 in funding has been awarded to nearly three dozen volunteer fire and emergency response organizations in Carbon County under an ongoing grant program created by the Legislature and administered by the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and Office of the State Fire Commissioner.
"Our community depends on local emergency services volunteers to protect the well-being of all our residents," said Heffley. "These state grants will help support them in their mission of protecting the public because they'll be able to use this money for construction or renovation of a fire or ambulance company facility, purchase or repair of equipment, training, or reduction of existing debt."
Last fall, lawmakers voted to both extend and expand the decade-old program by increasing the total grant funding from $25 million to $30 million.
All funding for these grants is authorized by Act 78 of 2012.
Local fire and ambulance companies receiving the grants are as follows:
• Albrightsville Volunteer Fire Co.
• American Fire Co. No. 1, Lansford.
• Aquashicola Volunteer Fire Co.
• Beaver Meadows Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1
• Bowmanstown Volunteer Fire Co.
• Citizens Fire Company No. 1 of Weatherly
• Diligence Fire Co. 1, Summit Hill.
• Diligent Fire Co. No. 3, Jim Thorpe.
• East Penn Township Volunteer Fire Co.
• Fairview Hose Co. No. 2, Jim Thorpe.
• Franklin Township Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1
• Greater Weatherly Area Ambulance Association Inc.
• Hauto Volunteer Fire Co.
• Kidder Township Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1
• Lake Harmony Rescue Squad Ambulance Corps
• Lake Harmony Volunteer Fire Co. Inc.
• Lehigh and Lausanne Volunteer Fire and Rescue Co.
• Lehighton Ambulance Association
• Lehighton Fire Department
• Mahoning Valley Ambulance Association Inc.
• Mahoning Valley Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1 Inc.
• Nesquehoning Hose Co. No. 1
• New Columbus Fire Co. Inc.
• Parryville Volunteer Fire Co. No. 2 Inc.
• Penn Forest Township Vol Fire Co. No. 2
• Penn Forest Township Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1
• Phoenix Hose Co. No. 2, Jim Thorpe.
• Towamensing Township Volunteer Fire Co.
• Tresckow Volunteer Fire Co.
For more information about the grant program, go to OSFC.state.pa.us.
For more legislative information, visit Heffley's website at RepHeffley.com, or follow his legislative Facebook page at Facebook.com/RepHeffley.