Palmerton FBLA students recognized
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Mary Brumbach, principal of the Parkside Education Center, proudly displays the Keystone Achievement Award the building received for meeting Adequate Yearly Progress in the 2010-11 and 2011-12 school years.
Palmerton Area High School students recently gave a glimpse of why they could indeed be considered Future Business Leaders of America.
Jennifer Danziesen, FBLA adviser, gave a presentation to the school board on Tuesday with regard to high school FBLA State Qualifiers.
Danziesen said the school's membership has swelled from 37 to 63 students. Of those, she said 59 competed in the regional competition.
Afterward, Junior Jessica Debski, who won first place in Job Interview, told the board Danziesen showed her how to create a cover letter, resume, and job application.
"The job interview has really prepared me for future times when I have to go do one," Debski said. "You really have to prepare yourself."
Also on Tuesday, Superintendent Carol Boyce announced that January is School Board Recognition Month.
Boyce then presented each board member with a certificate for their service on the board.
In other business, the board:
- Approved the 2013-14 General Operating Budget of the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit for the fiscal year July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014.
- Approved change order #004, CMG of Easton, Inc., Project #1059010.011. The contract sum will be increased by this change order in the amount of $28,000, and the new contract sum including this change order will be $405,990.
- Approved the Extended School Year S.S. Palmer Life Skills program.
- Approved English as a Second Language program description and guidelines.
- Approved Dawn Burke, as winter program facilitator of the PLATO Course/Credit recovery program for students in grades 7-12. The program will run Feb. 4 to about Feb. 22, 2013, Monday through Thursday, after school. The pay rate is $28 an hour in accordance with the current contract.
- Approved leave beginning Dec. 3, 2012, for Bridgette Gorman, Grade 2 teacher. Her return to work date is to be determined.
- Approved leave beginning Feb. 15, 2013, for Donald Heiney, custodian. His return to work date is to be determined.
- Approved the reinstatement of Karen Barnaski as full-time high school Business teacher, effective the 2013-14 school year, at Master's, Step 16.
- Accepted the resignation of head boys' basketball coach Michael Stefanek, effective Dec. 19, 2012.
- Approved the reassignment of Francis McCarroll, currently assistant boys' basketball coach, as head boy's basketball coach, effective Dec. 19, 2012, at the prorated head coach rate.
- Approved the reassignment of Sean McCarroll from volunteer boys' basketball coach to assistant boys' basketball coach, effective Dec. 19, 2012, at the prorated assistant coach rate.
- Approved Deborah Meckel as a day-to-day substitute nurse at the rate of $70 per day, effective Jan. 23, 2013.
- Approved Sharon Eagan as a day-to-day substitute secretary, rate of $8.45 an hour, and substitute Instructional Assistant, rate of $7.25 an hour, effective Jan. 23, 2013.
- Approved Gary Eckley as a day-to-day substitute custodian, rate of $8.50 an hour, retroactive to Jan. 9, 2013.
- Approved Janelle Scheckler as a day-to-day substitute teacher, English Certification, at the rate of $90 per day, retroactive to Jan. 9, 2013.
- Accepted the resignation of Kerry Palumbo as the Art Club adviser, and the co-FBLA adviser, effective Sept. 30, 2012, as per her request.
- Approved the reassignment of Danziesen from co-FBLA adviser to full FBLA adviser for the 2012-13 school year.
- Approved the salary adjustment for Shanna Matthews, Bachelor's to Bachelor's +24, on the horizonal movement on the respective salary levels per the teachers' pending negotiated contract, effective for the second semester of the 2012-13 school year.
- Approved Margaret Versuk from Assistant Chef to Head Chef assigned to the junior/senior high school, effective Jan. 23, 2013, at a rate of $11.94 per hour, plus additional compensation of $2.25 per hour as Head Chef.
- Approved, on an 8-1 vote, Michael Machinski as assistant softball coach for the 2012-13 school year, pending contract negotiations. Director Barry Scherer was opposed.
- Approved the Service Legal Agreement for Tax Services from Berks County Intermediate Unit, in accordance with their fee agreement ($18,695) for tracking, real estate, and per capita modules, and a one-time implementation fee of $1,200), effective July 1, 2013, and expiring on June 30, 2014, with funding to be provided by the general fund.
- Tabled a Performance License Fee/Rental Fee Agreement with Samuel French for the Drama Club's amateur production of the musical "The Wiz". The amount of the license fee is $660, while the rental fee is $750.
- Approved the agreement between the district and The Children's Service Center of Wyoming Valley, Inc., as a Therapeutic Education Program available to the district.
- Advertised for 2013-14 janitorial supplies, athletics and general school supplies.
- Approved the revised 2012-13 school calendar to adjust for snow makeup day.
- Approved June 3, 2013, as the graduation date for the Class of 2013.
- Approved the attached tuition reimbursement.