Pleasant Valley School District updates
During a recent meeting, the PVSD board approved 8-0 with Charles Hoffman absent:
• hiring substitutes: Rebecca Sobers, social studies; Loni Hepner, biology; Nancy Armitage, special education/elementary; Bridget Campbell, special education/elementary; Sarah Dennis, music; Rosanna Gentile, health and physical education; Kristina Iovino, early childhood/elementary; Gina Keesler, special education/elementary; Shanna Mills, special education/elementary; Gerard Oates, elementary; Gary Schmidt, special education/elementary; Alecia VanBuskirk, elementary; Natalia Andrea Rose, monitor; and Amy Glenn, health room technician
• hiring M. Louise Stewart as monitor, a replacement position for Maryjean Fedin; and Frederick Villaume, replacement position for Maria Spence
• the resignations of Lisa Edgar, PVE monitor, effective Dec. 20, but will remain on the substitute monitor list; Josephine Fields from PVHS reading specialist, effective Jan. 9; Onel Ramirez, PVE part-time para professional associate, effective Jan. 7; and Erelene McCormick, PVI monitor, effective Jan. 18, but will remain on substitute list.
• 2013 proposed budget for West End Park and Open Space Commission support in the amount of $3,753, with director James Spinola voting "no."
In Dr. Douglas Arnold, PVSD superintendent's report he said:
• 28 Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) students qualified to compete on the state level and the district was very proud of them.
• the district received a donation of $250 to be used for the baseball scoreboard.
• the American Red Cross sent PV a thank-you letter for allowing it to use the school facilities during Hurricane Sandy.
• the Knit and Crochet Club made 12 scarves and three hats and donated them to PVEN
• Mr. and Mrs. Brian Holmes donated toys to the district for Christmas gifts
• Edward Transue donated money to PVI families in need
• a thank you to Melissa Ruschak's students for the success of their holiday food drive.