Northern Lehigh HS juniors to begin second round of exams
It's one down, two Keystone Exams to go, for Northern Lehigh High School juniors.
Assistant Superintendent Karen Nicholas updated the school board on Monday of the status of the exams.
Nicholas said juniors began their second round of the exams this week in the form of the Literature and Algebra I. Last month, they took the Biology component of the exam.
"I'd like to commend all of our students and administration; it went off without a hitch," Nicholas said. "Our students did a great job with the exams."
The tests were taken online, which Nicholas said had never been done before. Results of the exams won't be made available until March, she said.
The Keystone exams have replaced 11th grade Pennsylvania System of School Assessments (PSSA's).
Also on Monday, the board unanimously agreed to authorize administration to replace the door hardware at Peters Elementary at a cost not to exceed $16,500.
Payment will be made from leftover funds in the construction account. Installation will be done in-house.
In other business, the board:
• Accepted the retirement/resignation of Linda Bramich from her position as high school cook's helper, effective Dec. 31, 2012. Bramich will be retiring from the district after 13 years of service.
• Appointed Sheila Steier as high school cook's helper, replacing Bramich, at a salary of $8.50 per hour, 5.5 hours per day, five days per week, up to 180 student days per year, plus additional cleaning days as needed, per the 2009-13 Educational Support Personnel Association CBA, effective Jan. 15, 2013.
• Approved the request of employee #6790 to take an eight-week maternity leave beginning on Dec. 7, 2012, for the birth of her first child. She is requesting to use 23 accumulated sick days. At the conclusion of her eight-week maternity leave, she is requesting a 12-week Family Medical Leave. She plans to return to her current teaching position on or about April 29, 2013.
• Approved the request of employee #2143 to take up to a 12-week Family Medical Leave, beginning on Feb. 8, 2013. She plans to return to her current teaching position upon medical release from her physician on or about March 8, 2013.
• Approved the request of employee #4270 to take an unpaid leave of absence, effective Dec. 4, 2012. She plans to return to her current position upon medical release from her physician.
• Approved the request of employee #3845 to take an unpaid leave of absence beginning on Jan. 28, 2013. The employee is currently on a Family Medical Leave, and is requesting an unpaid leave of absence until the start of the fourth marking period. The employee plans to return to her current teaching position on March 28, 2013.
• Approved Andrea Rosario as a substitute teacher's aide for the 2012-13 school year at the 2012-13 substitute rate as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule.
• Approved to reaffirm the school board governance standards and code of conduct referenced in school board policy #011, Local Board Procedures, Board Governance Standards/Code of Conduct, as recommended by the Pennsylvania School Board Association.
• Approved a conference request by Bryan Geist to attend the 46th Pennsylvania State Athletic Directors Association Conference from March 13-15, 2013, at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, with the cost of registration, $470; and lodging, $330; for a total approximate cost of $800, to be funded from the Athletic Department Budget.
• Approved the high school program of studies book for the 2013-14 school year as presented and recommended by administration.
• Approved the request of the senior high administration to create a Leo Club. This club will allow students to develop and contribute individually and collectively as responsible members of the community, and as part of the world's largest service club organization. The club will meet after school every two weeks, and there will be no cost to the district.
• Approved the resolution to identify Official Local School District Holidays (OLSDH) in accordance with PA School Code Section 1502.
• Approved the 2013-14 Northern Lehigh School District calendar as presented.