Chestnuthill Township announces 2013 appointments
It will be status quo in 2013 for Chestnuthill Township. The supervisors held the annual reorganizational meeting with the following appointments:
• Chairman: Chuck Gould; vice chairman: Dave Fleetwood; township manager: David Albright; secretary/treasurer/office manager: Cathy Martinelli; open records officer: Cathy Martinelli; roadmaster: Merton Whitney; comptroller: Cathy Martinelli
• CPA/firm to audit 2012 books, as per Resolution 2013-01, will be Riley & Co. for $6,500; CPA consulting firm will be Zelenkofske & Axelrod
Reappointments/appointments for one year terms are:
• Sewage enforcement officer: H.M. Beers, Inc.
• Attorney for SEO: Todd Weitzmann of Weitzmann & Weitzmann
• Alternate sewage enforcement officer: Jeryl Reinhart
• Soil scientist: Mark Mills of Soils Resource Limited
• SEO secretary: Andrea Kennedy
• Township engineer: Reilly Associates/Chris McDermott; alternate township engineer:Keystone Engineering/Eric Snyder
• Township solicitor: Joseph P. McDonald Jr.
• Earned Income Tax collector: Monroe County Tax Collection Committee (Berkheimer)
• Earned Income Tax liaison: Cathy Martinelli, alternate David Albright
• Building & Groundskeeper: Adam Theiling
• Vacancy Board: Board of supervisors and Kim Lutz
• Zoning & Codes officer: Walter Hansen
• Building Code inspector: Lehigh Valley Inspection Service
• Solicitor to the Building Codes Board of Appeals: Todd Weitzmann
• Attorney for the zoning officer: H. Clark Connor
• Zoning hearing board attorney: Jerry Hanna
• Solicitor to the planning commission: Tim McManus of Cramer, Swetz & McManus
• Secretary to planning commission: Cathy Martinelli
• Special council for bargaining agreements: Mike Carr of Stevens & Lee law firm
• Special council for insurance consulting: Michael Collins Esq.
• Emergency management coordinator: Don Zipp
Emergency management positions reappointments are:
• Deputy Emergency Management coordinator: John Murray
• Deputy Emergency Management coordinator: Chris Eckert
• Operations section chief: Eric Hoffman
• Planning Section Chief: Lisa Hoffman
• Planning Section: John Burrus
• Logistics Section Chief: Nick Caprioli
• Finance/Administration section: Cathy Martinelli
• Public Relations: David Albright
• Public Works: Merton Whitney
• Emergency Support Function: Ronald Eick
The Chestnuthill Township Fire Chief is John McKeever, fire marshal and supervisors' voting delegate is Chris Eckert.
The Chestnuthill Township Historical Society liaison is Dave Fleetwood.
The Agriculture Area Advisory Committee is currently Chuck Gould, Dave Fleetwood, Mark Heckman, William Altemose and Robert Gould.
Larry Smith and Dick Rodenbach were approved to serve a four-year term on the planning commission.
June Parker was approved to serve a three-year term on the West End Park and Open Space Commission with Dave Fleetwood as the liaison.
Chuck Gould, Nick Caprioli and Chris Eckert as alternate, were approved to serve a one-year term on the CJER Regional Planning Commission.
Douglas Atherton and Matt Connell were approved to serve on the Building Code Board of Appeals; Atherton for three years and Connell for two.
Non-union employees will receive the 2013 IRS rate of $.56.5 per mile.
Chestnuthill Township supervisors' meetings will be held the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 7 p.m. at the municipal building. Work sessions are held on Monday mornings at 7:30 a.m. and department head meetings are on Monday mornings at 7:15 a.m.
Resident Stuart Thody wondered if it was a wise decision to appoint the township office manager to include the comptroller position. Cathy Martinelli responded that not every township has a comptroller and that she had done those duties before when a comptroller had been hired.
Supervisor Chairman Chuck Gould said that when the township was going through a boom time and able to afford it, the position was warranted for the work load. Now, as unpleasant as some of their decisions have to be, they thought it was prudent to have Cathy absorb the comptroller's duties as she had done previously.
Gould thanked the residents for attending, stating how important it is for township residents to attend supervisors' meetings. He thanked the supervisors and staff for all they do and remarked about the upcoming big event of the township's 250th anniversary this year.
"Looking back over the last year, there was more forward movement than backward and I am looking forward to moving the township in the right direction for 2013," said Gould.
Vice Chairman Dave Fleetwood thanked all the employees for the excellent job they do, for the audience being a good sounding board and the volunteers.
"Without them, we couldn't accomplish what we do to move forward," said Fleetwood.
Supervisor Chris Eckert thanked everyone also. He's disappointed that they had to raise taxes this year and feels bad for those who may have trouble paying them. He is proud of the township's recycling program, saying it may be the best in the northeast.
"Our emergency services are tops. I'm very proud of them and Bernie Kozen does a great job with the park."
Cathy Martinelli said that 2012 was a productive year and she's proud to work for a productive team "to make the township open to the community."
Dave Albright said it was both a challenge and a privilege to work for the board, saying, "You each bring a special talent to the board."