Texting and driving statistics
Texting while driving is a growing trend, and a national epidemic, quickly becoming one of the country's top killers. Drivers assume they can handle texting while driving and remain safe, but the numbers don't lie.
Texting while driving causes:
• 1,600,000 accidents per year - National Safety Council
• 330,000 injuries per year - Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
• 11 teen deaths every day - Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Fatality Facts
• Nearly 25 percent of all vehicle accidents
Texting while driving is:
• About 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving intoxicated
• The same as driving after four beers - National Highway Transportation Safety Admin.
• The number one driving distraction reported by teen drivers
Texting while driving:
• Makes you 23 times more likely to crash - National Highway Transportation Safety Admin.
• Is the same as driving blind for 5 seconds at a time - VA Tech Transportation Institute
• Takes place by 800,000 drivers at any given time across the country
• Slows your brake reaction speed by 18 percent - Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
For more information, go to www.textinganddrivingsafety.com