District reimbursed more than $20,000 for projects
Palmerton Area School District has been reimbursed over $20,000 for several projects that had previously been completed at the high school.
District business manager Diane Serfass informed the school board on Tuesday that Pure Green Consultants LLC, of Taylor, Lackawanna County, was able to secure a rebate through PPL Act 129.
Serfass said the total reimbursement was for $28,829; of that, the district will realize a $20,324 net reimbursement, as $8,500 had to go toward a percentage of rebates that were approved, as well as an application fee.
The reimbursement is for construction work that was completed at the high school, $27,000 of which was for the high school roof, with the rest due to auditorium lighting and sensors for the restrooms.
Serfass said the $20,324 will go back into the district's construction bond.
Also on Tuesday, the board adopted the 2013-14 Lehigh Carbon Community College Operating Budget in the amount of $152,076, and the Capital Budget in the amount of $67,968.
Afterward, LCCC President Dr. Donald Snyder, who was in attendance, thanked the board for its continued support.
In turn, the board reciprocated its appreciation toward Snyder and LCCC.
In other business, the board:
• Approved leave beginning Jan. 2, for Michael Stefanek, social studies teacher. His return to work date is to be determined.
• Approved leave, tentatively beginning May 5, for Kristen Heller, grade 4 teacher. Her return to work date is to be determined.
• Approved leave, tentatively beginning around April 27, for Kathryn McKeon, grade 5 teacher. Her return to work date is to be determined.
• Approved leave, beginning Feb. 6, for Karen Barnaski, business teacher. Her return to work date is to be determined.
• Approved leave, beginning Feb. 18, for Jeanne Knepper, chemistry teacher. Her return to work date is to be determined.
• Removed the motion to approve the Service Level Agreement for Tax Services from Berks County Intermediate Unit from the table.
• Approved, on a 7-2 vote, the motion to approve the Service Level Agreement for Tax Services from Berks County Intermediate Unit in accordance with their fee agreement ($18,695 for tracking, real estate and per capita modules, and a one-time implementation fee of $1,200), effective July 1, 2013, and expiring on June 30, 2014. Funding will be provided from the General Fund. Directors Susan Debski and Darlene Yeakel were opposed.
• Approved Rosetta Strohl as a day-to-day substitute custodian, at the rate of $8.50 an hour, and as a day-to-day substitute cafeteria worker, at the rate of $7.25 an hour, effective today.
• Approved Donald Stevens as a day-to-day substitute custodian, at the rate of $8.50 an hour, effective today.
• Approved Nicole Cohen as a day-to-day substitute instructional assistant, at the rate of $7.25 per hour, effective Feb. 20.
• Approved Ricky Muffley as a day-to-day substitute custodian, at the rate of $8.50 an hour, retroactive to Feb. 6.
• Approved Sarah Fink, elementary; Felicia Strauch, elementary; and Gina Keesler, elementary and special education, as day-to-day substitute teachers, at the rate of $90 per day, effective Feb. 20.
• Approved the reassignment of Audrey Ravert from dish room assignment to assistant cook at the junior high/senior high school, effective today, at the rate of $11.48 per hour, plus additional compensation of $1.75 per hour as assistant cook.
• Accepted resignation for retirement of Terry Heiney, lead custodian, at the junior high/senior high school, effective June 30.
• Approved Donna Les as financial consultant, for the negotiation process, from Nov. 1, 2012, through Feb. 19, 2013, at the rate of $37.50 per hour.
• Approved the reassignment of Dianne Smelas from high school secretary, to guidance secretary at the junior high/senior high school, at the same current salary of $28,377.
• Approved the high school Environmental Club's field trip to the National Aquarium at Baltimore Inner Harbor, to be chaperoned by David Kellerman and a required number of parents, on April 25, at the cost to the district of one substitute.
• Approved Joseph Faenza to attend the Annual PASBO conference in Pittsburgh, March 19-22, at a cost to the district of $976.
• Approved the Contract of Agreement with Disk Jockey Kings (Joshua Solarczyk or David Semmel) for DJ services for the winter dance, to be sponsored by the high school Student Council on Feb. 23, at a cost of $300.
• Approved Change Order #005, CC Inc., Project #1059010.014B. The contract sum will be decreased by this change order in the amount of $26,821, and the new contract sum including this change order will be $913,987.
• Accepted the Single Audit Report dated June 30, 2012, as presented by Gorman and Associates on Feb. 5.
• Approved the Contract of Agreement with Easton Coach Company for bus transportation for the Student Council bus trip to Philadelphia on April 4.
• Approved the transfer of entity of the Life Skills program at Towamensing operated by IU#21, to the Palmerton Area School District, beginning in the 2013-14 school year.
• Approved the contract with eSTARS for student record eTranscripts at no cost to the district.
• Recognized the Palmerton Area Music Parent's Association's bylaws.
• Accepted the gift of a park bench, valued at $550, for the high school/junior high school courtyard, from the Class of 1952.
• Exonerated current tax collectors Maria Smith, Bowmanstown Borough, $2,140; Connie Brown, Lower Towamensing Township, $6,030; Diane Andreas, Palmerton Borough, $8,080; and R. Bruce Reiner, Towamensing Township, $6,610, from the collection of the 2012-13 school year delinquent per capita taxes, effective Jan. 1, 2013.
• Approved the per capita tax exoneration lists presented.
• Appointed Berkheimer Associates, Bangor, Pa., as the delinquent tax collector of the 2012-13 school year per capita taxes, effective Jan. 1, 2013. There is no fee assessed to the district for this service; the fees are assessed to the taxpayer.
• Denied grievance EA-12-13-1.
• Approved the 2013-14 school calendar.
• Approved tuition reimbursement as presented.