Pleasant Valley helps families
The PV schools' staff, students and parents helped several PV families during the holiday seasons: Polk Elementary donated 320 items to Toys for Tots; PVE collected 1,000 toys to Toys For Tots and partnered with PVI to donate food and toys for 24 families; PVI's PTO helped 17 PVI families with clothing, toys and food; PVMS helped 25 families.
High School principal John Gress reported that a PV alumnus donated $3,000 at Thanksgiving and $3,000 this Christmas to be used to help families in need in the district.
Carole Geary, PVSD's superintendent said, "I am very proud of our staff, faculty, students and parents for helping members in our community that are in need."
Gerard Geiger, the Pleasant Valley School District's solicitor, gave an update on modifications being made to the wiretapping law which will allow schools to be able to video tape with sound on school buses. "This will be on our radar for 2014," he said.
The board approved the following hiring of personnel:
• Ismael Aponte, monitor
• Theresa Balas, part-time paraprofessional associate/substitute paraprofessional associate, PVHS replacement position for Tricia Shann ($20,331, prorated)
• Izabela Pintarich, substitute teacher/Family & Consumer Science/paraprofessional associate
• Tonya Weiss, substitute monitor
• Kathleen Aurora, substitute secretary; Lorraine Danny, monitor, PVE replacement position for Aileen Reid, effective Dec. 20, 2013, $8.92/hour
• Janet Dooner, monitor/substitute monitor, PVMS replacement position for Lynn Sherry, effective Jan. 2, 2014, $8.92/hour
• Christine Erhardt, substitute paraprofessional associate/secretary/monitor
• Tom Krock, head custodian, PVMS replacement position for Richard Krock, effective Jan. 13, 2014, $19.22/hour
• Maria Martins, substitute monitor
• Barbara Nuss, substitute paraprofessional associate/secretary
• Laurie Wenrich, monitor/substitute monitor, PVE replacement position for Fred Villaume, effective Jan. 2, 2014, $8.92/hour
• Patricia Wathen, substitute paraprofessional associate