Palmerton School District will have additional students with special needs
Palmerton Area School District has picked up 17 additional special education students for this coming school year.
District business manager Diane Serfass apprised the school board of the situation on Tuesday. The first day of school for students is Aug. 26.
"Right now, we only have one of the 17 that will go to another district," Serfass said. "The rest should be able to stay here."
Also as part of her report, Serfass announced that the district will be refunded $112,767 for special education services from the IU.
In an unrelated matter, Superintendent Scot Engler briefly discussed the status of the district's Summer Reading program.
"It has not stopped in any way," Engler said. "Any student who was not able to complete any of the requirements will not have any penalties."
Under public comment, Charles Laviolette, president of the Palmerton Area Library Board of Directors, told the board students from the Leo Club, National Honor Society, and high school came to work as volunteers for the library's after school program.
Laviolette noted that the Leo Club donated $300 to the library. A letter of thanks was sent to the club, he said.
In other business, the board approved the following extracurricular positions, pending contract negotiations, for the 2013-14 school year:
• Carole Burkhardt, elementary chorus at S.S. Palmer Elementary.
• Natalie Madeira, elementary chorus at Towamensing Elementary.
• Deanna Iles, co-environmental club at S.S. Palmer Elementary.
• Lynn Sutton, co-environmental club at Towamensing Elementary.
• Eileen Long, environmental club at Towamensing Elementary.
• Roberta Yeager, co-Sixth Sense.
• Pamela Storm, co-Sixth Sense.
• Jodi Kocher, co-Student Council at Towamensing Elementary.
• Stacie Olewine, co-Student Council at Towamensing Elementary.
• Joyce Paulinho, yearbook at Towamensing Elementary.
• Pamela Andrews, yearbook at S.S. Palmer Elementary.
• Robert Falkenstein, Avenger (high school newspaper).
• Kevin Kolodziejski, junior high school newspaper.
• Thomas Heinick, high school concert band.
• Natalie Madeira, high school chorus.
• Ken Mettam, junior high school chorus.
• Craig Borland, Class of 2014 Senior Class.
• Michael Gombert, Class of 2015 Junior Class.
• Jeana Baumgardt, Travis Fink, Class of 2016 Sophomore Class.
• Robert Falkenstein, Class of 2017 Freshman Class.
• Brent Harris, junior high school/high school Drama coach.
• David Kellerman, environmental club at high school.
• Jennifer Danzeisen, Kerry Palumbo, FBLA.
• Jeana Baumgardt, Travis Fink, LEO Club.
• Jennifer Danzeisen, Mock Trial.
• Alex Knoll, National Honor Society.
• Brad Landis, junior National Honor Society.
• Bonnie Tavella, oratory advisor.
• Alex Knoll, Scholastic Scrimmage.
• Patricia Boyd, junior high/high school scrimmage (ACE).
• Brent Harris, stage crew.
• Alex Knoll, high school Student Council.
• Kathy Englert, junior high co-Student Council.
• Chris Kery, junior high co-Student Council
• Robert Falkenstein, yearbook at high school.
Approved the following non-paid high school clubs:
• Chess Club, David Kellerman.
• Gridiron Club, Travis Fink.
• International Traveler's Club, Jose Elvir.
• Library Book Club, Whitney Kern.
• PAAC Advisor, Miranda Allen.
• Souled Out Club, David Kellerman.
• Video Club, Robert Falkenstein.