Skip to main content

Slatington man charged with assaulting officer

Published April 26. 2013 05:04PM

A Slatington man has been jailed after assaulting a police officer Wednesday night.

William Brown II, 45, faces charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, terroristic threats, disorderly conduct and harassment.

Brown is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, May 2, at the Lehigh County Courthouse in Allentown. He remains in Lehigh County Prison under $40,000 bail.

According to an affidavit of probable cause filed by Slatington Patrolman Deron Dorward:

At around 8 p.m., Dorward and Sgt. George Burke were dispatched to respond to 145 Main St. for a disturbance, according to the affidavit.

Upon arrival, Burke and Dorward had made contact with the occupants inside, the affidavit says.

While speaking with the occupants, Dorward observed a male identified as being Brown, who appeared highly intoxicated.

Burke spoke with the two females, and Dorward had requested Brown to have a seat because he was staggering, and could barely stand.

Burke had asked the females about any of them having a Protection From Abuse against Brown. Both females stated there was no PFA.

Brown went to stand up, and again, Dorward suggested he sit down.

Dorward then contacted Lehigh County Radio, and requested that they check for any active PFA's against Brown. Lehigh County Radio advised Dorward there was an active PFA filed by Amanda Schock, who was inside the residence, against Brown.

Brown had stood up and walked toward Schock, and went to bend down next to her. Dorward had ordered Brown to go sit back down, at which point he was now becoming agitated, and started backing up and raising his hands.

Burke then walked toward Brown, and asked him to sit down. At this point, Brown kicked Burke in the right leg area.

Dorward started to move in closer to Brown, and then he took a swing at Burke with a closed fist, striking Burke in the left side of the face area.

At that point, Dorward deployed a taser, and pointed it at Brown and yelled "taser." Dorward then fired the taser once, striking Brown in the middle of his back on the left side.

Brown then fell to the floor, where Burke moved in and attempted to handcuff Brown. Brown continued to not cooperate, and began to kick his legs and feet.

Dorward informed Brown to calm down, and he then stated he was going to (profanity) kill both Dorward and Burke.

Brown would not cooperate, and he was advised if he continued to be combative, he was going to be tased again.

Brown continued, and failed to comply with Burke's and Dorward's commands, so Dorward had again deployed the taser. Burke was able to then get the handcuffs on Brown.

Brown continued to threaten Burke and Dorward by stating that he was going to (profanity) kill them.

Dorward requested EMS respond to remove the taser probes from Brown. After EMS arrived on scene, Brown continued to be combative, where he was threatening the medic from Northern Valley EMS.

Brown was transported to Palmerton Hospital to be evaluated.

Burke had also gone to the hospital to seek treatment for his injuries, which consisted of an abrasion to the right lower leg, a contusion to the right knee, and a secondary facial contusion to the left cheek and ear area.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries