Palmerton tables renovation on fitness center/weight room
Renovations to Palmerton Area School District's fitness center/weight room have been put on the back burner.
That came after the school board unanimously agreed on Tuesday to table the renovation and upgrade of the facility at a total cost not to exceed $20,500.
The project - to update the weight room and make it more practical for all teams to use - would be paid for from the balance of Save Our Sports funds and district funds.
It would consist of the addition of new flooring, paint, cardiovascular equipment, and a card reader for security access. It would be open to all students, not just athletes.
The district has $14,043 from its SOS funds to apply toward the project.
In other business, the board:
- Approved Christine Greenzweig to the position of Lead Custodian assigned to the junior/senior high school, effective July 1, 2013, at a salary of $36,724 a year. The rate of pay may change pending contract settlement.
- Approved the transfer of Sofia Mendes from part-time, five-hour per day custodian at Towamensing Elementary, to part-time, six-hour per day custodian at Parkside Education Center, at the same rate of pay of $11.65 an hour, effective July 1, 2013.
- Approved the request for unpaid leave of absence for Rose Mann, food service employee, effective March 12, 2013.
- Approved the transfer of Tracy Smith from secretary at Towamensing Elementary, to secretary at the high school, at the same rate of pay of $30,268, effective May 13, 2013.
- Approved Ann Therese Plocinik as secretary assigned to Towamensing Elementary, effective May 13, 2013, at the starting salary of $28,377.
- Approved Michael Brennan as a contracted Learning Support Teacher for the high school at Bachelor's Step 4 ($44,414) salary, to be determined pending negotiated contract, effective Aug. 21, 2013.
- Accepted the gift from the Football Parents Group, and Palmerton Garage Door, of track windows and sign for concession stand, at a total value of $1,190.
- Approved the attached addendum to the District Agreement for eLearn 21 between Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit 21 and Palmerton Area School District.
- Approved the $650 Disk Jockey Kings DJ Contract for the PHS 2013 Prom on May 3, 2013, to be paid from the Class of 2013 activity fund account.
- Approved the proposal from Raymond C. Geiger Real Estate for a real estate appraisal Parcel #27-57-B4.01A, for the purpose of defending a tax assessment appeal. There is an analysis fee of $4,500.
- Approved Gorman & Associates as auditors for the 2012-13 school year, with the following rates: Audit fee, $20,800; single audit fee (if required), $2,485; AFR fee, $875; and hourly rate for additional services, $72.
- Approved the contract for Dual Enrollment with Lehigh Carbon Community College.
- Approved South-Western Cengage Learning Century 21 Computer Keyboarding 9th edition textbook.
- Accepted the attached "criteria for scholarship award presented by the Palmerton Area Service Club".
- Approved the resolution regarding the use of electronic signatures.
- Approved the attached CLIU#21 Facilities Plan Committee Report.
- Denied grievance PAESPA DS.
- Denied grievance PAESPA 2012-2013-1-DH.