Graduation for PV will be June 14
At the Pleasant Valley School District board meeting, Dr. Douglas Arnold, superintendent announced that graduation will be Friday, June 14.
Dr. Arnold said he attended PVI's PSSA Pep Rally and that it was "truly uplifting. The positivity was palpable. I never thought I'd be at Pep Rally for academics."
The board approved, 6-0, with board members MiChelle Palmer, Charles Hoffman and Harvey Frable absent:
• to state the effective hire date for Jean Van Vliet, as a part-time paraprofessional associate be amended to reflect April 15, 2013
• to hire Louis Cannarella as a substitute custodian, Christa Tamn as a substitute cafeteria worker/monitor/custodian, Tammy VanBuskirk as a substitute monitor/cafeteria worker
• to hire Ron Bielecki, music director, and Jillian Michaels, assistant music director, for the summer music program
• to accept the letters of resignation of Barbara Cortese, PVHS art teacher, effective at the conclusion of the 2012-2013 school year, and Ellen McMasters, special education supervisor, effective July 25.
• Dan and Marcie Mulligan as high school Drama Club intramural advisers for 2012-2013 summer season
• summer school for PVMS at a cost of $175 per course for district residents and $275 per course for non-residents. Registration must be in by June 25, payment due June 27. Transportation is the responsibility of the parents. Students may be absent only one time with a doctor's note required and students dismissed for discipline/attendance reasons will not receive a refund.
• naming 2013-2014 fall head coaching positions to Chris Pachuta, boys' soccer; George Fair, cross country; Angela Frantz, field hockey; Jim Terwilliger, football; Timothy Hinton, girls' soccer; Mark Allison, girls' tennis; John Gesiskie, girls' volleyball; Steve Krechel, golf.
• naming 2013-2014 marching band/jazz band positions to James DeVivo, jazz band and marching band director; Aaron Boligitz, marching band assistant director; marching band assistants Tyler Hutta, Courtney Munier, Chad Snyder and Lorrie Snyder.
• James Percey as the 2013-2014 athletic director; Greg Bowman as assistant athletic director (HS); Maureen Shields, assistant athletic director (MS).
Board member Steve Borger said he would like to see some changes in how the district does its process of assigning coaching positions.
Dr. Arnold invites everyone to attend the district's Academic Fair to be held on Monday, April 22, 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the PVHS gym.
The next board of directors meeting will be on Thursday, May, 9 at 8 p.m. at the district office.