Schuylkill election bureau official lists important dates
With the General Election only seven weeks away, Frannie Brennan, director of the Schuylkill County Election Bureau, released important dates to remember before the Nov. 6 event.
• Tuesday, Oct. 9, last day to register to be eligible to vote in the general election.
• Tuesday, Oct. 30, last day before the election absentee ballot applications for civilian absentee ballots shall be received in the office of the county election bureau in Pottsville at any time prior to 5 p.m. from certain persons.
• Friday, Nov. 2, all absentee ballots, except those received from military and overseas electors and those received emergency absentee electors who become ill or are called away from their home after 5 p.m. on this day, must be received by the county election bureau no later than 5 p.m.
• Tuesday, Nov. 6, General Election. Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
If you are uncertain of your voter registration status it is advised that you call 628-1467 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or visit the office at 420 N. Centre St., Pottsville, located across from the city hall building.
Brennan said photo identifications are required to vote. The type of identifications which will be accepted at the polling places are:
• Photo ID issued by the U.S. Federal Government or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
• PA Department of State ID for voting purposes.
• PA driver's license or non-driver's license photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date).
• Valid U.S. passport which have not expired.
• U.S. Military ID - active duty and retired military (a military or veteran's ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinite); military dependents' ID must contain an expiration date.
• Employee photo ID issued by federal, state, county or municipal governments must not be expired.
• Photo ID cards from an accredit public or private Pennsylvania college or university (not expired).
• Photo ID cards issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes (not expired).