Salary board votes 3-1 for new full-time position
Establishing a new full-time position in Carbon County has one official concerned.
During the monthly meeting of the county salary board, the board voted 3-1 in favor of establishing the position of one clerical specialist at $9.91 per hour. Robert Crampsie, county controller, cast the sole "no" vote.
Following the meeting, Crampsie said his reasoning behind voting against a new full-time position was because of the current projections for the upcoming fiscal year.
He noted that right now, the county is facing a possible $4 million deficit and may have to look at raising taxes in 2013, so he felt that adding another salary that wasn't already budgeted into the 2012 spending plan was not a good idea.
He added that there are many factors that the county are looking at to try and lower the deficit, but expenses are outweighing the revenue coming into the county.
Carbon County officials are currently working on preparing a 2013 budget.
Other actions that the salary board approved include:
• Change the rate of one part-time clerk from $10.11 per hour, to $8.98 per hour, effective Sept. 17.
• Change the rate of one deputy sheriff at $14.81 per hour to $12.04 per hour, effective Sept. 6.
• Abolish the position of one deputy sheriff (temporarily) at $12.04 per hour, effective Sept. 6.
Area Agency on Aging
• Change the position of one part-time senior center manager I from anticipated to work 1,000 hours, to not anticipated to work 1,000 hours, effective Sept. 6.
Children and Youth Services
• Change the rate of one secretary III from $14.95 per hour, to $11.46 per hour, effective Sept. 6.
• Establish the position of one county caseworker II at $14.64 per hour, effective Oct. 3.
• Abolish the position of one county caseworker I at $13.29 per hour, effective Oct. 3.
• Abolish the position of one fiscal assistant/paralegal trainee at $13.29 per hour, effective Sept. 17.
• Change the rate of one part-time corrections officer from $11.60 per hour, to $10.93 per hour, effective Sept. 6.
•As per Article 18.5 of the AFSCME Union Contract: Establish the position of one maintenance II/lead worker at $17.59 per hour, and abolish the position of one maintenance II at $16.59 per hour, effective Sept. 6.
• Abolish the position of one site coordinator at $14.20 per hour, effective Sept. 6.